We are searching for an R&D Scientist to work with a pharmaceutical drug development team developing virological assays, and performing experiments to support in vitro and in vivo screening. The R&D Scientist will be evaluating drug and vaccine candidates, and for the detection of viruses in biological samples. The R&D Scientist will be working with in-vitro characterization of pharmacokinetics of compounds and dose response curves, to select the most optimal compounds. The Research Scientist is responsible for directing the development of assays in order to successfully move programs through the research process in a timely manner, in adherence with GLP, appropriate SOPs, and government regulations. This position requires candidates to be capable of working in cross-functional teams and to achieve departmental goals.
The Research Scientist will be a key contributor in building an integrated development plan and will provide support to new development activities, as well as clinical guidance and assessment of future opportunities to advance the science.
Our pharmaceutical drug discovery clients seek research scientists who are science-driven, have strong technical and analytical skills, and a detailed and ambitious work ethic. Experience with assay development is key to this position. Our companies offer strong career growth potential, and excellent benefits. We have many opportunities - all with top pharmaceutical companies seeking the best in pharmaceutical scientific researchers.
typical roles and responsibilities for R&D Scientist
- Develop, implement and evaluate appropriate quantitative virological, molecular, biochemical, and cellular assays for evaluation of antiviral therapeutic/vaccine candidates, and detection of adventitious viruses in biological samples.
- Generate and maintain virus and cell culture stocks.
- Design and conduct experiments independently or with minimum supervision.
- Participate in general laboratory operations including compliance with biosafety regulations/guidelines
- Effectively operate and maintain laboratory equipment
- Develop SOPs. Write proposals, and prepare quotes for commercial contracts.
- Maintain accurate records of laboratory data
- Prepare reports for internal team and external clients.
- Keep current with relevant technical literature and regulatory requirements.
- Provide assistance in identification of new technology, assays, equipment, and other laboratory needs for the advancement of assigned projects.
- Coordinate and collaborate with internal team and external clients.
- Complete assigned projects in a timely manner.
- Assist team leader in identifying and implementing new research avenues.
Requirements for R&D Scientist
- Ph.D. in Molecular Virology, Microbiology or a related field
- Thorough working knowledge of the principles of biological assay development, validation, quality assurance, and implementation in drug discovery research.
- BSL-2 laboratory experience, and working knowledge of laboratory biosafety regulations and guidelines.
- Excellent communication skills - oral, written and electronic.
- Strong attention to detail, excellent statistical and analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment.
- Experience in development of SOPs, contract writing, client interaction, report writing
- Experienced with Microsoft office suite, and statistics/graphing software for data analysis and presentation.
- Experience in development, optimization/validation, and implementation of drug screening assays in medium-to-high-throughput format.
- Experience with diverse viruses including DNA and RNA viruses. Experience with RNA virus reverse genetics/infectious clone production and manipulation Experience in detection of adventitious viruses in biological samples.
- Working experience in animal models of infectious diseases
- Experience working in a CRO environment.
Salary range for R&D Scientist