The Manager Government Relations will repor to the Head of Congressional Affairs and will play an integral role in developing and implementing coordinated advocacy and policy strategies, initiatives and engagements with federal policymakers around issues that impact the biopharmaceutical industry.
The Manager Government Relations will be based in Washington, D.C., and will work to ensure patient access to company therapies through advocation and advancement of policies that impact public programs such as Medicare, Medicaid, 340B, the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) and Veteran’s Affairs. Areas of focus may also include intellectual property, global health and trade. The Manager Government Relations will serve as a liaison between the company's commercial, medical affairs, and public affairs teams and the federal government affairs team in Washington with responsibility for contacts with the key congressional committees of jurisdiction policy makers engaged on these issues.
We are searching for government relations manager candidates who are results-oriented, self-starters with demonstrated ability to distill complex issues and policies into concise talking points, policy papers, and slides; attention to detail; ability to multi-task; team player, with an ability to work independently in a fast-paced, demanding environment. The Manager Government Relations will play a key role in helping develop policy as well as building relationships with members of Congress.
typical roles and responsibilities for Manager Government Relations
- Play a key role in developing and executing legislative and regulatory strategies designed to advance company strategic priorities.
- Strengthen existing and develop new relationships with key Congressional members and staff to increase support for company policy positions and initiatives.
- Work cross-functionally with legal, commercial, medical, and public affairs teams to inform and engage internal audiences on issues impacting company business priorities in Washington, DC.
Requirements for the Manager Government Relations
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a technical discipline. Advanced degree preferredf
- 10+ years experience in lobbying and health care policy (Hill, federal agency, or with corporate/trade association’s government affairs office).
- 3+ years of experience in biopharma corporate or trade association’s government affairs office, Congress, or federal agency position.
- Strong relationships with staff from the key lawmaking committees in the Senate, including the Finance and/or Heath Labor Education & Pensions Committees.
- Strong working knowledge of the current U.S. healthcare landscape including how the Medicare/Medicaid programs operate.
- Working historical knowledge of healthcare reform issues
- A track record of accomplishment working cross-functionally with internal stakeholders in Washington, D.C., corporate headquarters, trade associations, and other parties as required.
- Working knowledge of general U.S. government affairs compliance including federal, lobby disclosure and LD203 requirements and supportive processes.
- Willingness to provide administrative support for wide-ranging projects including but not limited to political programs, research projects, grassroots and other items in support of U.S. government affairs, as assigned.
- Strong communications skills; verbal, written, electronic and presentation, with the ability to connect at all levels and with diverse audiences
- Strong commitment to ethics and compliance.
- Ability to drive processes forward in timely, compliant manner.
Salary range for Manager Government Relations