Laboratory Director is responsible for planning, organizing and directing the overall operation of the Laboratory Department. Activities included are performance of chemical, microscopic and bacteriologic tests performed in the laboratory to obtain data for use in diagnosis and treatment of diseases. Ensure that services are of the best quality, are cost contained and are carried out in an expeditious manner. Additional responsibilities include recognizing results or problems, assuring competency of all personnel, formulating the budget for the department and maintaining performance improvement activities within the department. This individual supports the mission, values, and strategic plan for the hospital laboratory.
typical roles and responsibilities for Laboratory Director
- Maintains a safe, clean working environment, including unit-based safety and infection control requirements.
- Work with hospital administration on planning, organizing, and directing laboratory operations and ensuring compliance with all local, state and federal regulations.
- Secure and maintain the physical facilities, equipment and supplies which are required to carry out effective patient care and create an optimum physical environment.
- Prepare department budgets for personnel, operating expenses, and equipment.
- Ensure that the test methodologies selected have the capability of providing the quality of results required for patient care; verification procedures used are adequate to determine the accuracy, precision, and other pertinent performance characteristics of the method; and laboratory personnel are performing the test methods as required for accurate and reliable results.
- Communicate appropriately and clearly to physicians, staff and administration.
- Initiate, interpret and enforce Laboratory Services procedures and maintain and interpret hospital policies and procedure.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements for Laboratory Director – Hospital
- Minimum of seven (7) years of progressive Laboratory Services experience in Medical Technology/Clinical Laboratory Science, of which three (3) of those years with an emphasis on management of a Medical Laboratory.
- Ability to manage multiple and simultaneous responsibilities and to prioritize scheduling of work.
- Must be able to effectively communicate in oral and written form.
- Must have experience with regulatory and accreditation standards of laboratory operations. •
- Previous experience in a management of clinical laboratory of an acute care hospital Must be able to handle difficult situations involving patients, physicians, or others in a professional manner.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft application, which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, or Access, and other web-based applications in order to produce complex documents, perform data analysis, and maintain databases.
- Demonstrated professional society related membership and participation, preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Medical Technology, Chemistry, or other relevant degree required
- Masters’ degree from an accredited university, required.
- California Department of public Health (CDPH) Clinical Laboratory Scientist License (CLS) or similar licensure, optional.
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) or similar certification, preferred