Reporting to the Executive Director- Support Services, the Director of Facilities is responsible for planning, organizing, directing and controlling the Facilities and Security function of the hospital. The position is responsible for the overall operations of 1.4 million square feet of facility space on the campus. Responsible for physical plant improvements and infrastructure improvements. The Director of Facilities will develop and implement policies and procedures, establish standards and evaluate employee performance; and coordinate with other departments to provide excellent service to patients and employees. The position is responsible to develop and implement departmental budgets and ensures compliance throughout the fiscal year for the operating and capital budgets. Responsible to forecast and develop 5 – 10 years capital budget in conjunction with Finance. Manages and leads Environment of Care and Safety functions for the organization.
typical roles and responsibilities for Director Facilities Operations
- Evaluates and recommends equipment and systems for replacement or upgrades.
- Evaluates conditions and function of building utility systems to determine needs and priorities for capital funding requests.
- Ensures building code compliance, proper installation and design practices for systems associated with minor or major maintenance and renovation projects.
- Acts as a liaison between the hospital and local City authorities and regulatory agencies.
- Provides and applies practical knowledge regarding building operation of various distribution systems, air conditioning and heating systems, building automatic control systems, water distribution, fire protection, sanitary and storm sewer operations, piped medical gases, electrical distribution and central utility plants for steam and chilled water.
- Provides oversight technical assistance to Construction and Design teams as needed.
- Monitors flow and quality of work to assure timely completion of workload and adherence to facility’s standards and regulations.
- Prepares and manages departmental budgets.
- Prepares and maintains a variety of departmental records and reports.
- Manages and ensures compliance with the authorities that have jurisdiction.
- Monitors work performance and prepares or reviews performance evaluations for assigned personnel.
- Coordinates work projects with affected departments to ensure understanding and smooth operations.
- Leads Environment of Care Committee. May serve as the Facility Safety Officer.
- Manages departmental personnel functions including hiring, coaching, counseling and performance review.
- Participates in hospital performance improvement initiatives including goal development, LEAN, and Managing Daily Improvement.
- Provides opportunities for staff training and development
- Maintains current licenses and continuing education
Requirements for Director Facilities Operations – Hospital
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 3 to 5 years as a Plant Operations Director in an Acute Care Hospital setting.
- Experience managing engineers in a union environment, preferably in a large shop (40 plus staff) in an Acute Care Hospital setting.