We are searching for a Chief Scientific Officer for a small biotech operating in the critical early phases of new drug development. The Chief Scientific Officer provides the commercial focus, expertise and funding necessary to address the obstacles to success, and drive early decisions with the intent of boosting the successful development of new medicines. The Chief Scientific Officer will develop and grow a core scientific team through the development process.
The successful candidate will possess a doctoral degree and significant leadership and hands on experience, ideally in a mixture of start up as well as big pharma, of the drug development process, particularly in the non-clinical phase. A deep understanding of what pharmaceutical customers are looking for when they consider acquisition of new products.
The Chief Scientific Officer should have experience that includes extensive experience in pre-clinical drug development with a mix of experience with start-ups as well as pharmaceutical industry leaders.
typical roles and responsibilities for Chief Scientific Officer – Early Stage Drug Development
- Considering commercial objectives, provide expert scientific input into projects
- Ensure an independent and scientifically rigorous review of the company’s projects at initiation and, throughout their course and ongoing improvement. Provide refinement of processes for the scientific evaluation of projects
- Educate and inform academic researchers in the process of commercialization
- Present the company’s projects to potential investors
- Assist with scientific content for new funding opportunities
Requirements for the Chief Scientific Officer
- 10+ years of progressive industry experience, with a depth of experience in research and new drug development
- Proven track record of delivery of key milestones from preclinical target validation to Phase 1 clinical studies and ability to contribute at a technical level to multiple programs simultaneously
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning, development of customised plans and decision analysis
- Extensive experience in presenting scientific and commercial information for a range of audiences
- Ability to work in startup environment and with government, academia or industry
- Strong record of scientific accomplishment
- Established international linkages to scientific experts in a variety of disciplines
Salary range for Chief Scientific Officer – Early Stage Drug Development