This role will be responsible for creating the next generation of manufacturing platforms and technologies, incorporating innovative technologies and scientific know-how to enable new capabilities for research and manufacturing applications. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of deep technical and scientific innovation in cell and gene therapy platform development. They will own the vision, define the roadmaps, hire the teams, and lead them through challenging, multidisciplinary research problems. They will work closely with engineering, program, and process development teams within R&D to create first-in-class solutions to be deployed across the manufacturing network.
typical roles and responsibilities for VP R&D
- Craft the vision and lead the successful implementation of cutting-edge gene therapy & cell therapy manufacturing platforms.
- Manage programs and projects across multiple scientific and technical disciplines and deeply exploring beneficial non-obvious technology developments.
- Hire and develop a vibrant and diverse team of scientists to tackle problems from basic science R&D to applied development programs in close collaboration with Engineering and Process teams
- Oversee interactions with project teams, partners, and subcontractors, work closely with R&D operations, facilities, and project management teams.
- Define and prepare project plans with clear objectives, manage variances, develop timelines, and guide the team to meet all deliverables and objectives.
- Communicate a clear research direction, narrative, and roadmap to senior leadership in R&D and other stakeholders across organization
Requirements for VP R&D – Scientific
- PhD degree in Biology, Engineering, Medicine or similar Life Sciences discipline
- 15 + years of Leadership experience in biotech, biopharma, or life science industries, with proven success managing large, complex, cross functional product development programs.
- 15 + years of platform development skills including but not limited to:
- Successful track record of developing innovative therapeutic platforms related cell or gene therapy, such as pre-clinical R&D, novel instrument design, or novel assay development
- Effectively communicate and influence at all levels of the organization including C level executives, technical and non-technical stakeholders, team members and functional managers
- Knowledge of key business needs, driving factors, and considerations to inform build vs. buy decisions • Strong analysis, risk assessment, and leadership
- Detail-oriented with ability to see the big picture and to work effectively at both high and detailed levels • Interpersonal and enabling skills- proven ability to effectively build relationships and achieve alignment across a wide range of functions and constituents
- Operate with a high degree of autonomy and professionalism in a fast-moving start-up environment Preferred Experience (Education/Degrees/Certifications)
- Demonstrated experience with platform development across multiple operating environments: innovative R&D, process development, and regulated biomanufacturing facilities