As a member of our fire protection engineering team, successful candidates will design many fire and life safety systems including: wet, dry, preaction and deluge sprinkler systems, foam, water spray, clean agent, wet and dry chemical and clean agent fire suppression systems, fire pumps, water tanks, standpipes, smoke management systems, and building fire alarm and mass notification systems. You will also be involved in building code and life safety code reviews, review of hazardous materials, design and analysis of building egress and passive fire protection systems, and reviews of existing buildings for compliance with applicable building and fire codes. You will also be involved in the construction and commissioning process.
- Lead the design, specification, and multi-discipline coordination of the following fire protection systems: Wet-pipe, dry-pipe, pre-action, deluge, and foam/water fire suppression systems. Fire water supply infrastructure including fire water storage tanks, fire pumps, underground and aboveground distribution piping and associated appurtenances. Outdoor fire suppression systems including monitors, spray systems, and exposure protection systems. Addressable and non-addressable voice evacuation fire alarm systems including initiation devices, supervision devices, and audible and visual notification appliances. Releasing systems for pre-action, foam/water, and clean agent systems.
- Quality review the fire protection calculations including the hydraulic analysis of fire water supply and demand, battery calculations, and voltage drop calculations.
- Lead the evaluation of building and life safety requirements including building area and height limitations, building construction types, fire resistive assemblies and opening protections, occupancy classifications, hazards, building egress, and active and passive smoke management systems.
- Quality review the construction administration including coordination with field personnel to resolve design related installation issues, review of contractor shop drawings and calculations, field inspections, and testing of fire protection systems.
- Lead project teams to perform site evaluations and documentation of existing fire protection systems.
- Lead performance-based design analysis for projects in the energy and general facilities spaces.
- Prepare and present technical reports for clients and industry publications.
- Build effective relationships with existing clients, customers and contractors and develop new business opportunities.
- Manage sales and marketing efforts and identify key pursuits.
- Responsible for ensuring customer satisfaction goals and expectations are met.
- Manage the development of cost proposals and qualification statements to achieve stated targets and standards for financial performance.
- Prepare and present project budgets and cost estimates. Report project performance.
- Provide leadership, guidance and instruction to the fire protection practice.
- Responsible for QA/QC process adherence.
- Responsible for compliance with company and site safety policies.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science in Fire Protection Engineering or related degree from an ABET accredited program and 7 years fire protection engineering experience.
- Or Bachelor of Science in Fire Protection or related Engineering Technology from an ABET accredited program and successful completion of Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam. Master of Science degree in Fire Protection Engineering a plus.
- Professional Engineering License (PE) preferred.
- NICET certification in Water-Based System Layout, Fire Alarm Systems, or Special Hazards Systems (National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies) is preferred.
- Expert knowledge in standard engineering techniques and procedures.
- Expert knowledge of building codes, fire codes, NFPA standards, FM Global datasheets, military standards, and refinery/industrial API guidelines.
- Prior experience with energy storage systems and NFPA 855 is a plus.
- Candidate should have advanced knowledge of appropriate design tools such as hydraulic calculation software, AutoCAD or Revit, Excel, and Word. Position requires an experienced and competent individual capable of successfully solving challenging problems requiring adaptation and modification of standard techniques, procedures or criteria.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills, ability to work methodically and analytically in a quantitative problem-solving environment.
- Ability to lead project/discipline design teams.
- Expert in standard engineering techniques and procedures.
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain access authorization to facilities and data of existing and potential clients, including, but not limited to DOE, aerospace, military, food and consumer product manufacturers, pharmaceutical, laboratories, and others necessary to perform work.
$155,000 – $215,000
The expected compensation range for this position is displayed in compliance with all local/state regulations. The expected compensation range for this position is based on a number of factors, including but not limited to: individual education, qualifications, prior work experience and work location. The total annual compensation package will consist of a base salary and eligibility to participate in our discretionary year-end incentive bonus program.
Our extensive benefits package takes care of you so that you can focus on doing great work. From insurance and disability to time off and wellness programs, we provide the tools to meet your needs. As part of being 100% employee owned, eligible employees participate in our Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) in addition to our 401(k) retirement program. For more information, please visit the Benefits & Wellness page.