The Physician - Medical Director is responsible for the coordination and oversight of all medical care provided at medical center locations, and for the quality of services rendered. All candidates should have US licensure as an MD or a DO. The Physician - Medical Director provides overall supervision for clinical services for multiple medical center locations as well as serves as a liaison for clinical matters with medical providers outside the system. Additionally, the Medical Director will be available to provide on-call services as needed.
Our healthcare clients seek physician leaders who are career-driven, have strong management and mentoring skills and a depth of experience in managing multi-site clinical care teams. Those teams should include doctors, RNs, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, case managers and medical technologists. Our companies offer excellent career growth potential and benefits. We have many opportunities - all with top healthcare companies seeking on the best in physician leadership.
typical roles and responsibilities for Physician Medical Director – MD or DO
- Supervise the clinical services provided by the staff
- Annually review and approve clinical protocols, policies and procedures, and medical disaster plan
- Provide direction and assistance to the on-site quality assurance program including review and action on inmate complaints, and infection control.
- Monitor referrals to outside healthcare facilities for appropriateness, quality, and continuity of care.
- Oversee daily clinical leadership activities including reviewing requests and making coverage determinations as needed, for services and supplies for delegated lines of business.
- Act in a supporting role as medical manager and policy advisor to the company and our clients.
- Execute the relevant clinical quality improvement programs in partnership with corporate leadership
- Provide education to provider teammates in local markets and to the clinical team regarding managed care processes as well as clinical issues
- Consult with medical providers in the community to resolve issues in delivering services to patients.
Requirements for Physician Medical Director - MD or DO
- MD graduate of an accredited medical school, MBA or advanced degree in healthcare management preferred
- U.S. MD licensure in the state of practice
- 3+ years’ experience in clinical practice in a primary care setting
- Current Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) registration
- Current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certification
- Board-certified - BC or board eligible - BE in a primary care specialty either, family practice, internal medicine, geriatrics or surgery required
- Progressive medical administration experience
- Proven ability in a medical leadership position in clinical credibility with experience developing and guiding team members
- A strong understanding of all aspects of managed care, including HMOs, PHOs, risk arrangements, capitation, peer review, performance profiling, outcome management, care coordination, pharmacy management, and patient-centered medical home concepts.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- The ability to navigate in a corporate matrix environment
Salary range for Physician Medical Director – MD or DO