Purpose and Scope:
The basis of this document is to outline the duties of the Operations Supervisor as defined by the Operations Laboratory Manager. This position oversees the histo technician team and the slide processing team. The Operations Manager will work closely with the Operations Laboratory Director to put mechanisms in place to meet demands and volume to ensure the continued quality of service.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage and monitor project progress and timelines to ensure successful completion
- Responsibilities include training, validation, and optimization of IHC antibodies.
- Implement and maintain processes to achieve project objectives and deliverables.
- Data collection of all departments (IHC, Histology, Grossing, and slide scanning) and analyze to optimize workflow and TAT.
- Manage day-to-day workflow in specimen logistics, responsible for staff, evaluate and monitor processes to streamline the effectiveness of laboratory operations, including slide scanning.
- Assist the laboratory operations manager in tracking CAP and NYS DOH compliance requirements.
- Update SOPs as needed.
- Assist with LIS troubleshooting and serve as a point of contact for LIS issues in the laboratory.
- Perform and interpret QA/QC procedures; recommend, perform and document corrective actions and possible impacts to data quality.
- Manage inventory needs, communicate supply requirements to purchasing, and maintain a stock of all necessary components, supplies, standards, and reagents.
- Ensures that all laboratory requirements outlined in the protocol are managed per expectations and in compliance with laboratory practices.
- Works closely with the operations manager, support services manager, the lab quality coordinator, and Safety Officer to improve efficiencies and processes within the laboratory
- Performs other related technical duties as a histo technician as necessary or as assigned.
- Set up and monitor the slide scanning QC/QM program.
- Report and resolve laboratory instruments and scanners issues as per protocol.
- Train new team members.
- Ensure that the team meets the established TAT benchmarks.
- Assess and review the performance of the laboratory histo techs and slide scanning teams.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the laboratory leadership team.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related sciences.
- At least 5-year working experience in an Anatomical Laboratory. Valid Pathologist Assistant or Hist Tech License
- Ability to perform complex tasks and prioritize multiple projects with skills in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems and to make evaluative judgments Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to lift up to 25lbs.
- Ability to work in an environment conducive to a laboratory setting. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)