The Director of Software Engineering will lead a software engineering team and help deliver robust software solutions across several platforms.
typical roles and responsibilities for Director of Software Engineering
- Lead and grow the software development team by recruiting and retaining industry-leading engineering talent across a range of specialties.
- Help manage the prioritization and execution of development activities.
- Provide technical leadership to drive high-level architecture and software design decisions for the team.
- Work closely with leadership from Engineering and Product Marketing along with internal (software) stakeholders to identify key projects and establish development roadmaps.
- Help define and implement effective software engineering practices within the team and cross-functionally.
- Support the technical and career growth of team members through 1-1 mentoring and performance reviews.
Requirements for Director of Software Engineering – Life Sciences
- Extensive technical knowledge of HW-SW interfaces, systems programming in a Linux environment, and the design of distributed systems for performance-critical applications.
- 5+ years experience developing software using modern C++ and Python in a senior or technical-lead role, preferably in a cross-functional scientific instrumentation or robotics/hardware-oriented domain.
- 5+ years experience managing a team of high-performing software engineering professionals.
- Extensive knowledge of best practices in software engineering and development process, including tools and methods for managing soup-to-nuts delivery of product software under quality control.
- Ability to collaborate in a fast-paced team environment with rapidly changing priorities: proactive team player who thinks ahead, plans, and suggests solutions.
- You are a continuous learner who embraces a growth mindset.
- Strong leadership and communication skills with the ability to synthesize technical information and present it to specialists and non-specialists.