The core purpose of the Sr. Project Manager role is to provide leadership and consistency to large scale complex projects that typically include Controls programming and Electrical/Mechanical Installation work while coordinating with customer and/or end users (TSA, Airports, etc.).
Leads project team members and removes obstacles to drive deliverables such that each team member will have the opportunity to be successful on the project(s). This role must also manage the customer expectations to guarantee the delivery of a project that exceeds customer expectations. In addition, mentoring and oversight of less experienced Project Managers and PMO team members are key in this role.
Success for this position is to deliver successful projects to our customers. A successful project is defined by the following essential criteria:
1. Safety – Injury free work environments
2. Timeliness – Meeting or exceeding customer deadlines
3. Execution – Efficient and effective startups
4. Quality – Built according to specifications (or better)
5. Profitability – At or under budget
- Drives own empowerment with adequate authorization and responsibilities to manage the Programs project teams according to organizational standards.
- Serves as first point of customer escalation of issues.
- Ability to manage multiple large complex projects.
- Acts as responsible project manager for assigned projects oversight of other as needed.
- Accountable for overall projects results with full profit/loss responsibility.
- Status reporting on financial KPIs, risk/opportunity management, claims, scheduling and EHS.
- Performs contract reading and derives actions concerning risks, opportunities, and obligations.
- Schedules regular project status meetings and organizes acceptance of work results for projects.
- Documents and reports all work results according to defined standards.
- Manages customer acceptance and final project closeout requirements (internal & external).
- Manages customer expectations and helps team resolve issues.
- Actively gathers information on the customer’s strategies, requirements, and targets.
- Consults with customers, project teams and Sales team on technical solutions.
- Clarifies customer targets, requirements per contract specifications.
- Performs lessons learned activities and feeds the results to project and relevant parties.
- Develops strategic billing plans for the best possible cash flow across projects.
- Represents the project and company in the relevant decisions internally and externally.
- Assesses and manages contracts / specifications for responsible projects.
- Negotiates with stakeholders on Change Requests and incorporates them into contract.
- Is pro-active in notifying the customer, management, and team of project plan changes.
- Aligns the project team and casts a vision that defines project success and achieves the 5 critical criteria for all projects (Safety, Timeliness, Execution, Quality, Profitability).
- Understands that the customer is an important team member on the project team and effectively coordinate and communicate.
- Increase and manage client relationships to ensure successful projects and repeatable business.
- Coordinate and communicate with the Engineering and Field Operations
- Manage sub-contractor and vendor relationships to ensure success.
- Lead project team to maintain and manage the project schedule.
- Present a monthly update to management that reviews budget, schedule, safety, CO’s and risk.
- Other responsibilities as needed.
- Combination of office and job site settings
- Collaborative, engaging and success driven culture.
- Travel required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Sitting for prolonged periods of time when in office
- Standing and walking for prolonged periods of time when at a jobsite
- Climbing may be required when working at a jobsite.
- Repetitive typing/data entry
- Lifting up to 10 pounds
This position offers a flexible work schedule. General office hours are M-F, 7a-4p or 8a-5p. Working hours will vary when working at a job site to meet the requirements as needed.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to understand written specifications, as well as contract drawings to understand contract scope requirements, support quotations and present current KPIs in project reviews.
- Ability to travel to customer facilities as needed and work non-business hours based on project delivery commitments and customer needs.
- Is detail-oriented and organized; and capable of performing work that is reliable, accurate and thoroughly self-verified.
- Knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices and procedures related to Project Management and project reporting.
- Ability to exercise a wide degree of creativity.
- Strategic thinker and problem-solver
- Leadership traits and instincts with strong analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written), attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Excellent collaborator and influencer
- Ability to consistently achieve or exceed desired results.
- Ability to manage multiple large complex projects simultaneously.
- Ability to train less experienced Project Managers
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, in related area; years of relative experience will be considered for education.
- Experience in managing multiple projects and teams.
- Experience in customer presentations and negotiations
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- Expert level knowledge of Excel required.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States
- Ability to obtain airport security clearance as needed
- MS Project or equivalent scheduling tools
- Experience in the following Preferred:
- AutoCAD Knowledge
- Presentations to customers and leadership