The Mechanical Engineer will perform duties described below and demonstrate initiative to take actions necessary to assist production and to complete assignments thoroughly by verifying his/her own work as defined/outlined by the Engineering Manager. The role reports directly to the Engineering Manager. The Engineer will provide professional Mechanical Engineering service and technical support to Maintenance and Operation departments for the re-design, modification, re-engineering and retro-fitting of machinery and equipment to improve quality and productivity, fulfilling company objectives and requirements while considering the limitations imposed by practicality, regulation, safety, and cost.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Coordinates and sets priority for the Mechanical Engineers in his/her area.
- Analyzes and defines machinery and equipment problems to improve quality, productivity, repair damaged equipment, save money, and increase production line up time.
- Re-designs, re-engineers and /or retro-fits machinery and equipment that needs upgrading, is damaged, is poorly designed or is incorrectly used in order to improve quality and productivity, to repair damaged equipment, to save money and to improve production line up-time.
- Defines and scopes projects, makes engineering drawings or layouts, writes engineering reports, makes cost estimates, obtains bids, writes work orders, makes recommendations to management, obtains approval to purchase necessary equipment and materials, and works with Maintenance and Operations Personal to retro-fit and install.
- Studies machinery requirements, maintenance manuals and maintenance procedures to design and establish Preventative Maintenance Programs to increase equipment up time. Coordinates all Predictive and Preventative Maintenance activities and ensures all maintenance work is satisfactory complete as assigned.
- Communicates and coordinates with Maintenance Personnel to provide technical expertise and support on the full range of maintenance projects and programs to reduce maintenance costs, avoid costly downtime, and increase equipment utilization.
- Defines, prepares and controls work order jobs. Prepares work instruction, orders and secures spare parts for jobs to be completed by Maintenance personnel. Reviews all work done for proper completion to ensure the orderly and efficient utilization of Maintenance manpower and materials.
- provides for and ensures the timely, accurate and efficient administration and control of the spare parts program assures that all spares which are essential for the orderly and efficient operation of the plant are either inventoried on site or are readily available for delivery through equipment vendors in order to avoid unnecessary downtime waiting for spare parts.
- Assists Operations and Maintenance with troubleshooting and repairs to pollution control equipment in order to meet EPA rules and regulations.
- Follows OSHA regulations as it applies to engineering design, constructions, maintenance and equipment installation to assure NAS compliance to safety and health requirements.
- Keeps abreast of new equipment and techniques by reading appropriate journals, associating with professional organizations, trade associations, colleagues, equipment vendors, service companies, consultants, and government agencies, and attending conferences, training courses, and continuing education courses as appropriate.
- Support PSW and prototype builds with Product and Quality Engineering
- Ensure compliance with Product, Process, and Equipment procedures
- Audit processes, reports non-conformance Engineering Manager or designee
- Develops manufacturing processes (including work & setup instructions and preventative maintenance), flow diagrams, PFMEA, and floor layouts
- Develop rework / repair procedures as needed
- Prepare and maintain BOM routings and operation codes
- Develop production equipment specifications and tooling line-ups (including check and assembly fixtures) and arrange for design builds, and on-time delivery of tools
- Assist Packaging Engineer in the development of end item packaging designs with customer’s specifications
- Approve prints on new releases or changes to parts for acceptable manufacturing feasibility and realistic tolerancing
- Develop mechanical drawings using AutoCAD 2D & 3D modeling with basic tool making methods
- Provides technical leadership as required to support the development manufacturing engineering team
- Act as the Project Engineer on equipment turn-key operations
- Develop and assist entry-level engineers Education & Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering or related field with 5 years experience
- Minimum 3 years Manufacturing Engineering experience in automotive industry
- Posses a creative mechanical ability to develop equipment
- Knowledge of GD&T and ANSI standards
- Knowledge of modern manufacturing methods, tools, and techniques
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills required
- Computer literate in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Project
- Ability to work in a team oriented environment Personnel Supervised:
- None Working Conditions:
- Plant and Office Environments