Director of Comparative Medicine – NHP
We are a leading organization in the drug development sector, committed to pioneering solutions for infectious diseases and gene therapies. Our advanced bio-secure facility supports a wide range of preclinical programs, underpinned by a dedication to scientific excellence and innovation.
As the Director of Comparative Medicine, you will be instrumental in shaping the strategic direction and operational management of our comparative medicine department. This pivotal role demands a blend of scientific acumen and leadership finesse, ensuring our research protocols mirror the complexities of human disease and treatment modalities.
- Strategic Leadership:
- Craft and execute long-term strategies for the comparative medicine department to support the organization’s research and development goals.
- Lead operational planning and implementation, ensuring department objectives are met efficiently and effectively.
- Regulatory Compliance:
- Ensure adherence to all regulatory and ethical standards, maintaining essential accreditations and compliance with AAALAC, USDA, FDA, and other relevant bodies.
- Prepare for and oversee compliance audits and reports, maintaining impeccable standards of research and animal welfare.
- Research Management:
- Supervise the design and execution of preclinical studies, ensuring they meet scientific, regulatory, and ethical standards.
- Provide expert input into the development of animal models for preclinical research, aligning them with therapeutic targets.
- Operational Excellence:
- Manage daily operations, including budgeting, staffing, and resource allocation, to optimize department performance.
- Integrate new technologies and methodologies to enhance research outcomes and operational workflows.
- Team Leadership:
- Lead recruitment, training, and mentorship of a multidisciplinary team, fostering a culture of excellence and ethical research.
- Design and implement professional development programs to nurture talent within the department.
- Engage with cross-functional teams to ensure the comparative medicine strategy is integrally supported across the organization.
- Maintain open communication channels with internal and external stakeholders, reporting on departmental progress and strategic outcomes.
- Quality Assurance:
- Uphold the highest quality standards in all research activities, continuously auditing and improving processes.
- Ensure the health and welfare of animals are a paramount consideration in all research activities.
- Institutional Engagement:
- Actively participate in institutional committees, such as the IACUC, offering expertise on animal welfare and research integrity.
- DVM from an AVMA accredited program with ACLAM certification.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in a research or laboratory animal facility, including 5 years in a leadership capacity.
- Demonstrated success in strategic planning and operational management within a comparative medicine or related research environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge of regulatory compliance standards in a research setting.
- Proven leadership qualities with the ability to manage and develop a diverse team.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to engage stakeholders effectively.