Highly regarded medical devices design company seeks a Principal Systems Engineer to lead electromechanical and electronic systems development for new medical device platforms. The Systems Engineer will develop systems architecture, requirements, specifications and verification reports, working in a dynamic medical device R&D environment.
Our medical device clients seek systems engineers who are career-driven, have strong backgrounds in all areas of electromechanical systems development. Our companies offer excellent career growth potential, and excellent benefits. We have many opportunities - all with top medical device companies seeking the best in engineering leadership.
typical roles and responsibilities for Principal Systems Engineer
- Develop requirements, specifications, test plans and verification reports.
- Develop systems architecture, prototypes, analyze and design electronic and electro-mechanical sub-assemblies.
- Perform system performance documentation and budget analyses, including tolerance stack-ups, cost breakdowns, error budgets, power, and weight
- Manage and support team direct reports
- Manage contractors
- Manage client contact including meetings to discuss upcoming projects
- Develop project plan to satisfying milestones and deadlines with required actions.
- Manage project status, tracking plans, issues, timelines, action items, and budgets.
- Manage project regulatory requirements per applicable US and foreign medical device directives
- Oversee the process of preparing new or modified products ensuring compliance to internal and customer requirements.
- Provide systems leadership to cross functional engineering teams, including design and quality
- Assist with preparation of proposals and quotations for clients; interface as needed to resolve questions in a timely manner.
Requirements for Principal Systems Engineer
- BS in Electrical Engineering; MS preferred. Candidates with engineering degrees in other disciplines will be considered based on experience
- 5+ years of product development leadership experience, leading significant projects from early stage development to production.
- 10+ years in systems engineering roles and/or electrical engineering design and development, preferably for Class II or Class III medical devices.
- A depth of experience with systems engineering and requirements management.
- A track record of accomplishment in managing projects involving embedded microcontrollers, hardware architecture, embedded software design, motor and control feedback circuits, sensors, mixed signal circuit design and PCB layout.
- A depth of experience in driving cross-functional, multi-departmental project work with a track record of strong accomplishment in achieving results.
- Strong communications skills; oral, written and electronic, including MO Office Suite and MS Project.
- The ability to effectively prepare specifications, protocols and reports and formal presentation skills.
- Must be able to fully interpret technical drawings, specifications and illustrations.
Salary range for Principal Systems Engineer