The reliability engineer is the first point of contact for most mechanical systems in their respective production areas. The client wants to hire a
Local area Houston, TX applicant, no relocation is provided.
DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
Ø Operations Support
· Work with Operations and Maintenance counterparts to solve day-to-day problems, ensuring safe and reliable unit operation.
· Participate in production team meetings to maintain awareness of key activities and unit operating status.
· Conduct routine field walkthroughs with operations, maintenance, and inspection to proactively evaluate concerns with equipment and provide recommendations.
· Support as a key contributor during stabilization and recovery from operational upsets.
Ø Critical Work Processes
· Manage Threats and Opportunities (MTO): Identify and prioritize threats and opportunities related to mechanical equipment, utilize problem-solving skills to frame potential solutions, and take action to drive resolution.
· Management of Change (MOC): Develop technical design bases, provide, and facilitate technical assurance and hazard screening of design, assist with maintenance planning and execution activities, lead pre-startup safety reviews, and verify change close-out activities.
· Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM): Manage and continuously improve asset care strategies for both fixed and rotating equipment using consistent methodologies and a standardized approach.
· Maintenance Execution (ME): Drive compliance for critical planned maintenance, review deferral justifications, and seek optimization opportunities.
· Process Safety Compliance: Manage and timely implement Process Safety recommendations for the assigned production areas.
Ø Technical Delivery
· Leverage technical acumen to outline the detailed scope of changes to mechanical equipment. Assure compliance with industry standards and company design practices for all plant changes.
· Assess the health of Mechanical Equipment by utilizing:
· Ensure Safe Production (ESP) – Review production unit shift reports and assess design operating window exceedances.
· Manage Equipment Care (MEC) – Support completion of compliance inspections and implementation of asset care strategies for mechanical equipment.
· Proactive Technical Monitoring – Review exceptions from Operations sensory rounds, assess vibration and oil sample analysis results, and recommend proactive corrective actions.
· Seek to identify and close gaps in own technical competence in pursuit of qualification as a technical assurer for rotating and/or static equipment.
· Champion the causal reasoning mindset within the area production team.
· Perform investigations on failures related to mechanical equipment bad actors.
· Seek to understand the root cause of failures and mitigate findings with robust solutions to prevent reoccurrence.
· Identify opportunities to reduce waste in work processes using LEAN and other continuous improvement methodologies.
Ø Business Planning
· Participate in the delivery of the multi-year major maintenance plan for the production area. Ensure it is credible, competitive, affordable, and drives year-on-year improvement about asset integrity, reliability, and profitability.
· Ensure mechanical equipment improvements are identified, prioritized, adequately funded, and suitably categorized within business plan portfolios.
Ø Project Management
· Provide updates on current project statuses and upcoming work scopes to relevant stakeholders. Contribute to decisions that prioritize the best interests of the site.
· Challenge yourself and the production team to assess that work is executed by the right team in the organization based on size and complexity.
Ø Turnaround Support
· Support work scope development and field execution for mechanical equipment
· Coordinate mechanical equipment surveillance.
· Participate in production unit pre-startup safety reviews and commissioning activities.
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS
v Bachelor’s degree in engineering, mechanical engineering preferred.
v 3-10 years of related manufacturing industry experience.
v Experience with maintenance and reliability concepts, including a sound understanding of engineering and maintenance processes.
v Knowledge of the concepts of risk assessment, Reliability Centered Maintenance, Management of Change, and structured problem-solving.
v Excellent troubleshooting, analytical, verbal, and written communication skills, with the ability to interface with personnel from diverse backgrounds at all levels of the organization. Proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects.
v Demonstrated skill in working with teams to achieve a common goal.
v Success in this role will require a desire for continued competency development in both static and rotating equipment knowledge areas.
v Working knowledge of industry codes and standards, and their practical application within the refining and petrochemical industries.
v Certified Maintenance & Reliability Professional (CMRP) certification is a plus.