About the candidate:
The ideal candidate is a research executive who will have come up through the ranks of supply-side market research firms with hands-on experience in all aspects of quantitative and qualitative research including project management, client management, research design and conceptualization, questionnaire/research instrument development, data analysis and report writing. The candidate should be fully capable of executing/supervising complex research projects from start to finish, from the proposal stage, to fieldwork, to analysis, and finally, to the delivery of a management-friendly presentation of the findings to the end client. Fields of experience could include cultural/multicultural studies, brand or product marketing and positioning, product development, customer service/customer satisfaction, and/or media content, services, and technology adoption and usage. We would be particularly eager to speak to you if you have a background in or passion for anthropology, sociology, psychology, social justice, critical race theory, gender studies, and/or cultural studies.
The candidate will already hold a similar position or is ready to step up to her/his/their next challenge showing all the requisite skills and experience for success in a new, more senior role. Independent research consultants/suppliers (include those with small staff/team of their own) are encouraged to apply/inquire about the opportunity to join us.
…Feel energized about the cultural, demographic, and socio-political shifts happening in the United States right now?
…Have cultural savvy and critical thinking skills?
….Want to stop doing “cookie-cutter” ‘research projects and put your creative, think-out-of-the-box skills to the test?
…Love the idea of doing work that has the potential to drive social change?
…Thrive in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging, and dynamic work environment with like-minded people?
…Enjoy developing and mentoring a team of junior executives to shape them into the research superstars you know they can be?
…Excited to apply your passion and knowledge to deliver meaningful strategic insights and recommendations for clients and see the impact your work is making?
…Inspired by the idea of being an integral part of a company that is on the cusp of tremendous growth and change?
Then this role would be perfect for you!
About the role/responsibilities:
- Work with clients and senior leadership to conceptualize, design, and implement research projects to uncover cultural insights: Leverage our robust toolbox of research methods including focus groups, IDIs, ethnography, videography, mobile ethnography, shop-alongs, survey research, online research communities and more to answer our clients’ most pressing questions about Latinx, Black, Asian, LGBQIA+, and other diverse consumers and communities, including internationally;
- Manage and execute research projects: Oversee the execution of research projects from proposal stage/study design to final reporting and analysis. This includes:
- Identify, engage, and manage the appropriate research vendors;
- Oversee a team of junior staff to ensure all phases of the research project are well-executed;
- Write and/or review questionnaires and other research instruments;
- Work with the data to find the answers our clients need and applying your cultural knowledge and critical thinking skills to find the “aha” insights;
- Serve as the main client contact for the duration of the project;
- Create and/or supervise the creation of visually compelling reports using tools such as PowerPoint, Adobe Illustrator, In Design, and more to effectively communicate the story behind the data to our clients;
- Ensure client needs are met.
5+ years of experience in market research, with experience in client-facing roles
- Solid questionnaire development experience
- Knowledge of sampling and the survey fielding process
- Pro-active, must be a team player and be able to work with a wide range of personalities
- A proven track record of managing and prioritizing multiple projects on time and on budget
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to recognize key trends and insights and the ability to explain research findings to non-researchers
- Experience managing and training junior-level staff members
- Organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated, and able to meet deadlines a must
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written skills
- High-level proficiency in PowerPoint, Word, and Excel
- Bachelor’s Degree from accredited university (While not a requirement, degrees or coursework in anthropology, sociology, psychology, social justice, critical race theory, gender studies, and/or cultural studies are preferred)
Not required, but a definite plus:
- Master’s or PhD in market research, anthropology, sociology, cultural studies, gender studies, or similar fields;
- Expertise (including both hands-on and conceptual) in segmentation, choice analysis, predictive modeling, and other statistical skillsets
- Experience in the Latinx, Black, Asian, LGBTQIA+, or other multicultural space
- International research experience
- Experience in any of the following industry verticals: Media, advertising, technology, healthcare, pharma, automotive, beauty/personal care, travel & hospitality
- Written and verbal fluency in any second language, especially Spanish, French, Portuguese, Hindi, Mandarin, or Tagalog
- A creative eye for design (of PPTs, videos, etc. for client deliverables)
- A client list/contacts you can bring to the table