Oversees all aspects of the transportation function in a dynamic, customer-centric setting, which entails various responsibilities such as hiring qualified drivers, planning routes, ensuring driving safety, coordinating unloading procedures, maintaining the fleet, managing customer/driver relationships, and ensuring compliance with Department of Transportation (DOT) and Operating Company (OpCo) regulations. This role includes active participation in driver selection and orientation, addressing employee relations matters including disciplinary measures, monitoring DOT and Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) adherence, supervising Transportation Supervisors, and overseeing the routing process to ensure customer satisfaction. Collaborates effectively as a team member within the department and organization, undertaking any assigned duty to effectively serve the company.
- Supervise Transportation Supervisor and/or driver staff to ensure safe, efficient, and timely deliveries, maintaining reliability and customer satisfaction.
- Manage driver team, including hiring, scheduling, training, providing guidance, setting job standards, and regularly evaluating performance.
- Administer day-to-day delivery operations, including managing, monitoring, and approving department expenses, calculating driver payroll, reviewing trip and expense reports, and resolving issues.
- Utilize computer systems (e.g., Tripmaster and Xata) to enter and access data in the automated fleet management system, ensuring proper monitoring and maintenance of truck computer systems.
- Prepare annual transportation operating budget, conduct cost analyses (e.g., truck leases, fuel consumption), and coordinate financial reporting.
- Collaborate closely with Warehouse Manager to optimize operational efficiency.
- Schedule truck deliveries and routes on a daily basis, considering backhauls and adjusting routes to meet customer requirements and maximize profitability.
- Coordinate equipment scheduling and maintenance, analyzing equipment needs (trucks, tractors, trailers) and arranging rentals or maintenance as needed.
- Ensure compliance with Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations, monitor DOT logs, and enforce adherence to DOT guidelines among drivers.
- Maintain and update driver information, such as licenses, DOT medical certifications, records of moving violations and accidents, and other relevant risk and safety data.