The Senior Process Control Engineer position provides technological and engineering expertise for the implementation of new process control technology and equipment. Evaluates and resolves problems with existing process control systems utilizing vendor and/or mill maintenance support when necessary. Designs and programs changes to the existing process control systems based on priority and need. This ensures that the process control systems are properly implemented to provide the greatest return on investment with regard to unit costs and product quality as well as safe and environmentally sound operations.
How you will impact:
This list identifies the essential functions. As with all jobs, all duties and responsibilities are not listed, and will vary based upon the department, team, and business needs.
- Utilize modern process control theory to implement new process control systems on existing processes.
- Designs and programs changes to existing process control systems based on prioritized work order requests.
- During project design, assists with coordinating the development of control logic and system configuration between the Operating Department and control system suppliers. May participate in factory checkout of equipment prior to delivery to assure that these needs and the functional specification are met.
- Utilize process engineering, process control, systems software, and electronics problem-solving skills to determine solutions which will improve system performance and economic return.
- Evaluate the performance of process control systems utilizing quality and cost data to assure that the systems produce the expected results.
- Writes operator training manuals and assists with operator training classes on new or existing control systems.
- Works closely with Operations and Engineering personnel to develop job scopes. Writes functional specifications within the bounds of this scope for vendor use in quotation.
- Maintains a strong emphasis on process improvement projects – customer focused innovations, cost saving improvements, process optimization, etc.
- Utilizes a proactive approach and project skills to develop solutions to short- and long-term issues.
- Works directly with operations and maintenance personnel to identify, manage and prioritize the workload.
- Designs and implements control system logic based on process knowledge and requirements based on safety, environmental integrity, operational need, and maintenance requirements that provide clearly defined benefits.
- Works closely with maintenance and operations to identify and resolve issues.
- Assists in the development of I/E Mechanic competencies with PLC’s, DCS, and process management systems. Improve both their understanding and troubleshooting skills.
- Provides problem solving support to operations and maintenance 24/7 through a departmental monthly rotating schedule.
- Perform other duties as assigned
What you need to succeed:
- BS in Chemical, Electrical, Systems, or Pulp and Paper Engineering
- Must have five years of experience in the Paper or allied process industries. Mill experience or extensive field experience is essential with demonstrated maturity, integrity, and people skills reflected by prior accomplishments.
- Must have experience with computer technology such as Microsoft or UNIX based systems.
- Experience with Foxboro IA DCS and Allen-Bradley PLCs or any other modern process control system is a plus.
- Must have ability to write reports and business correspondence.