Senior Medical Director/Scientific Director, Medical Affairs
Title: Senior Medical Director, Medical Affairs (Solid Tumors)
Provides specialist medical/scientific strategic and operational input into core medical affairs activities within the Solid Tumors therapeutic area, inclusive of health-care professional/provider interactions; generation of clinical and scientific data; educational initiatives (medical education, data, guidelines and value proposition); safeguarding patient safety (risk minimization activities / safety surveillance activities). Works closely with sales, marketing and commercial teams to provide strategic medical input into core brand strategies, and to support medical/marketing activities and market access. Provide scientific and technical support for assigned products; deliver scientific presentations; develops and maintains professional and credible relationships with key opinion leaders; actively participate in relevant Brand Teams and helps develop medical affairs strategies for assigned products; develop innovative research concepts for clinical data generation; provide relevant scientific and technical training.
- Establishes and approves scientific methods for hypotheses, rational, design of affiliate/Area protocols and their reports across different products.
- Participation in design and execution of clinical trial safety, product safety and risk management plans. May also carry responsibility for safety monitoring reports to regulatory agencies. May review, assess and report applicable Adverse Events and Serious Adverse Events if assigned to Company conduct on clinical studies.
- Oversees the conduct of clinical trials and is medically and scientifically accountable for resolution of safety issues, interpretation of statistical analyses for clinical significance, PI selection, scientific documents reporting safety monitoring and other scientific reports submitted to the regulatory authorities.
- All clinical research / development activities for products under development, and for post approval commitments such as regulatory agency mandated trials, or those intended to support product registration or to generate data for label inclusion remain the primary responsibility of TA development teams.
- Drives medical affairs activities and generation and dissemination of data supporting overall product scientific and business strategy. Coordinates induction, mentoring, training, and development. Identified training needs.
- Interact with and coordinates appropriate scientific and medical activities with internal stakeholders (i.e. commercial, clinical operations, discovery, statistics, regulatory, etc…) as they relate to on-going medical affairs projects. May develop of scientifically accurate marketing materials, medical education programs, advisories, and symposia.
- Oversee scientific/medical education of investigators, clinical monitors, and Project Team members related to therapeutic area or disease specific information. Keeps abreast of professional information and technology through conferences and/or medical literature and acts as a therapeutic area resource.
- Responsible for understanding the regulatory requirements related to the clinical studies and global drug development and accountable for complying with those requirements. Serves as the scientific team interface for key regulatory discussions. Represents Company at external meetings including investigator meetings, scientific association meetings, etc.
- Assists with the scientific review, development, approval, execution and communication of affiliate/area medical affairs sponsored or supported clinical research activities. May lead cross functional teams in development and execution of strategic initiatives requiring integration of multiple subprojects within the therapeutic area or Medical Affairs function.
- Ensures budgets, timelines, compliance requirements are factored into programs’ scientific activities. Works independently. Can address complex problems within discipline or across several projects. Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. Works on complex problems in which analysis of situation or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various complex factors.
** Multiple roles available for candidates that have past strong Tenure at Top Tier Pharmaceutical companies in all areas of Medical Affairs (Global and Domestic)
- Medical Doctorate (M.D.) degree or equivalent (D.O. or non-US equivalent of M.D. meet requirements or with relevant therapeutic specialty in an academic or hospital environment – completion of residency and/or fellowship is preferred) or Advanced Degree PhD, PharmD, PA, NP (highly preferred with residency or additional post doctorate experience highly preferred).
- For MDs:-
- National license to practice medicine with relevant therapeutic specialty in an academic or hospital environment. Academic qualification (Dr med or equal). Completion of residency and/or fellowship is preferred. Advanced academic qualification is warranted.
- Minimum of 5 years of clinical trial experience in the biotech/ pharmaceutical industry or academia or equivalent. 7+ years of experience is preferred.
- For Non-MDs
- Typically, 15 years’ experience in the pharmaceutical industry or equivalent; substantial understanding of relevant therapeutic area required.
- Management or leadership experience at the program level, experience with strategy development; senior staff role within a TA.
Can be in Chicago, IL or South San Francisco area (OR possible remote)
- Ability to run a clinical program or medical affairs team(s) independently with little supervision.
- Extensive knowledge of clinical trial methodology, regulatory requirements governing clinical trials and experience in developmental strategy and the protocols.
- Expert knowledge in a relevant therapeutic specialty.
- Must have an understanding of the Pharmacovigilance practices for Clinical Development programs.
- Must have an in-depth understanding of the Clinical Development process for Phase I-IV or extensive knowledge of Pharmaceutical Development including compliance and regulatory requirements.
- Can address problems within discipline or across several projects. Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Proven leadership skills in a cross-functional team environment.
- Ability to interact externally and internally to support business strategy.
- Must possess excellent oral and written English communication skills
- Works on complex problems in which analysis of situation or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various complex factors.
- Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions
- International experience is a plus.