Position Senior Mechanical Engineer – Utilities
Location- Minneapolis/ St Paul, MN
Direct hire, no remote
Reporting to the Senior Project Manager, this individual will provide technical and engineering excellence, as well as successful delivery of work to our customers. The Engineer is responsible for a high level of customer satisfaction by ensuring expectations are clearly communicated and managed – both externally and internally. The successful candidate will also contribute to a dynamic team environment by being proactive, communicating clearly and frequently, and modeling a highly collaborative working environment. This person will also actively support the business development process, through the writing of proposals and meeting with prospective and current customers.
Specific responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Manages projects and teams, ensuring that work efforts and costs are accurately scoped and estimated.
• Prepares engineering documents and equipment specifications to meet contracted scope of work and to ensure code compliance.
• Performs engineering calculations.
• Approves final utilities systems/equipment selections and drawing submittals.
• Leads utilities systems/equipment procurement efforts.
• Actively manages assigned projects, driving them to completion. This will require a combination of strong delegation and follow-up, combined with personal execution of work as needed.
• Thorough understanding of Architectural design, Electrical, Civil, Controls, and Structural Engineering and construction practices.
• Provides work direction to other team members, including subconsultants, as assigned.
• Participates in the development and coaching of younger talent needed to meet current and future organization goals.
• Ensures that new opportunities are properly defined, scoped and priced. Actively contributes to all aspects of the business development process (i.e., proposals, conferences and customer meetings).
• Actively participates in monthly Marketing meetings.
• Provides technical and engineering support to other departments/disciplines.
• Represent company at conferences, customer events, and through membership in industry associations
Bachelors’ degree in Mechanical Engineering is required. Professional Engineering Registration or willingness to pursue this designation is also required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
The successful candidate will have a pragmatic and applied approach, while at the same time bringing a creative examination of customer needs and solutions.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated a strong proficiency in utilities generation and distribution systems design. Ideally, the person filling this position will have strong experience in infrastructure projects and/or plant operations. This person will have strong interpersonal skills to enable effective interaction with Designers, Engineers and sub-consultants. This person also will possess strong communication skills, and influencing skills, and has demonstrated the maturity and self-confidence to work with colleagues and customers.
The level of experience we are looking for likely comes with a minimum of 6-10 years of relevant engineering experience.
The successful candidate will be naturally collaborative, and possess the ability to assimilate a range of ideas, programs or alternatives into a set of recommendations. This person will be self-directed, but thrive in an environment where consultation leads to superior outcomes.
Additional qualifications the successful candidate will possess include:
• Effective meeting management skills.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Proficient writing skills and experience generating technical reports.
• Experience developing campus utilities masterplans.
• Cost estimating skills.
• Adaptable and agile, responsive to quick changes in direction.
• Ability to pro-actively identify and develop plans to mitigate project risks.
• Supervisory or people-management experience.
• Experience supporting a construction team from the engineering and design perspective during construction, including onsite experience.
• Experience executing or leading plant checkout, start-up, and commissioning.
• Project management experience including projects with multiple disciplines.
• Ability to establish rapport and credibility with customers and other stakeholders.