The Senior Accounting Manager will manage a set of accounting activities to ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, corporate policies, and external audits. This person will be responsible for financial completeness, timeliness, and accuracy for the operational segments of Armada. Additionally, they are responsible for process improvements, internal controls, and special projects for the operational accounting area. This person will manage monthly closing of accounts and preparation of reports in support of the financial statements.
The Senior Accounting Manager will work closely with the Senior FP&A and Reporting Manager and others in the organization in analysis and reconciliation of accounts and in development and implementation of accounting policies, procedures, and controls.
The ideal candidate possesses leadership capabilities, solid operational and technical accounting background and works proactively to drive results. This person is a self-starter, flexible, has a high level of integrity and is action and goal-oriented in a fast-paced, team-oriented, collaborative environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversees a team of managers who are responsible for the monthly financial close process, including monthly general accounting close, inventory reconciliations, and freight variance analysis for the operational aspects of our business
- This position is responsible for driving change in the current process to streamline, reduce time to close but still ensure accurate reporting
- Participate in the ongoing development/establishment of accounting policies and procedures and operational strategies including the review and implementation of process and system changes
- Continued focus on improving system efficiencies and business practices
- Participate in strategic financial projects including upgrades of ERP software
- Ensure compliance with internal control policies and assess risks, recommending improvements or new controls where applicable
- Collaborate with external auditors to ensure successful audit results and compliance
- Responsible for hierarchy and scalability in chart of accounts and accuracy in the general ledger and financial statements
- Analyze the effect of statutory accounting practices and studies regulations and guidance to ensure correct application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Make recommendations for changes as needed, ensures that company policies and procedures are followed and establishes the proper techniques to discover and prevent fraud
- Assist with compilation of information for preparation of tax returns
- Recruit, train, develop, coach, and direct the General Accounting team; make recommendations on hiring, development, appropriate disciplinary actions, and termination.
- Work with Director of Finance to set and establish departmental goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures
- Assess workloads and provide recommendations to maximize efficiencies between your management teams.
- BA in Accounting or related field of study required; MBA/CPA Preferred.
- 7+ years experience in industry or public accounting required.
- 5+ years supervisor experience
- Intermediate Excel skills and confident with databases/reporting tools
- Hands-on experience using a modern ERP system, JDE preferred
- Extremely detailed oriented.
- Strong analytical, communication, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Extraordinary interpersonal skills to work in conjunction with other departments.
- Must be a team player who also works well independently.
- Must be able to analyze data, draw conclusions, interpret results, and make recommendations.