RN Director Emergency Services-Full Time-West Hills, CA
Shift: Full Time-No Weekends
This Hospital & Medical Center is a 225-bed facility just outside of Downtown Los Angeles. The hospital is well known for its Burn Center, which has earned global recognition for treating some of the most difficult burn cases in the world.
The facility offers comprehensive medical care through its variety of services, including an emergency department with helipad access, a Level II NICU, and a Women’s Diagnostic Center. The quality of these services has earned them numerous awards and accreditations, such as a Primary Stroke Center designation and the first accredited Chest Pain Center in Los Angeles County. Staff members say the family-like atmosphere and emphasis on compassion are among the best reasons to work at the facility.
The Emergency Services department has 31 ER rooms and provides quality to care to approximately 50,000 patients each year. As the Director of Emergency Services department, you will report directly to the Chief Operation Officer (COO) and lead between 55 – 80 team members.
You will be surrounded by a top-notch senior and executive leadership team that are all committed to the success of you, the ED and the community and patients we serve.
You will assure service, growth, development, personnel management, and resource allocation and management controls are in order to ensure consistent high-quality patient care in the Emergency Department.
- Accurately identifies real/potential problems affecting the service and implements solutions with follow through and communication.
- Actively participates in service, departmental and hospital wide committees as assigned, providing ongoing communication to those one represents.
- Advances the patient experience agenda in the Emergency Department.
- Coaches immediate subordinates providing feedback; constructive critique of work; facilitates individual development plan; and documents their job performance.
- Adheres to all Human Resource policies.
- Effectively communicates departmental, organization and industry information to staff.
- Facilitates evidence based employee engagement practices.
- Effectively builds strong relationships and networks to deliver upon organizational and department goals.
- Participate in employee and patient rounding and identifies and mentors potential future leaders
- Enforces standards of emergency department care and develops processes to measure and ensure consistent compliance.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates an ongoing emergency services program which assures quality patient care consistent with the Hospital mission.
- Monitors compliance with regulatory, accrediting and hospital policy for patient services, and environmental and personnel safety.
- Oversees a PI program that consistently monitors and evaluates critical aspects of care.
- Is responsible for department’s operational excellence; ensures department delivers quality services in accordance with applicable policies, procedures and professional standards.
- Follows the Hospital Exposure Control Plans/Blood borne and Airborne Pathogens.
- Seeks new program strategies and/or program enhancements which would expand patient services.
- Develops, prioritizes and defends a capital equipment requests.
- Is responsible for the fiscal management of department; assures proper utilization of organization’s financial resources.
- Advances the growth agenda for emergency services.
- Demonstrates a poised and confident demeanor that reassures others and commands respect within the organization and the community.
- Develops and builds strategic external networks.
Supports HCA by
- Promoting consistent positive patient interactions that advance the agenda of unparalleled patient service
- Practicing and adhering to the “Code of Conduct” philosophy and “Mission and Value Statement”
- Performing other duties as assigned
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing required
- Master’s degree MHA, MSN, MBA, or related field preferred
- 3+ years of experience in emergency services required3+ years of experience in a leadership role preferred or equivalent combination of education and/or experience
Licenses, Certifications, & Training:
- Currently licensed as a registered professional nurse in the state in which he or she practices, in accordance with law and regulation required
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) required
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) or Emergency Nurse Pediatric Course (ENPC) required
- Basic Life Support (BLS) required
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Behaviors:
- Knowledge of human resource management, program development, fiscal management skills, and familiarity with regulatory and accrediting agency standards preferred
- MUST have 3-5 years of Leadership experience in the ED
- Natural progression from Nurse to Nurse manager will be considered.
- Nurse Managers with High Volume ED experience will also be considered
- MUST have Acute Care Experience within the last year
- Director will report to COO
- The Director has 1 Nurse Manager and 1 Clinical Educator
- Core 55 FTEs and fluctuates up to 80 around peek (PRN and travelers and pier diem staff)
- They will have a great group of Directors around them (Directors of other areas – peers)
- Also have a strong senior leadership team. CEO very engaged, strong CNO and CMO – all very supportive of ED
ED Summary Details:
- 31 ER rooms. They redid their ER in 2013 recently refreshed walls, floors, etc.
- Pre COVID they saw ~50K patients per year. They are getting close to their normal volume now.
- Not Trauma designated but have high acuity – cardio, neuro, and stroke. They have a large elderly population.
- They have historically struggled with culture (staff and physicians) and throughput. However, the current director has made great progress over these past 3 years and Isiah said they have a very engaged crew now. Still work to be done, but better.
- Their current provider group is EMA but that will end in September and October 1 Team Health will be new provider group for hospitalist and ED
- Good relationship with EMS so good volume from this source as well.
Salary Range: $155K-$170K & could go up to $180k base (Based on years of experience)
15% Annual Bonus available based on performance KPI’s
SIGN ON: 20K sign-on. It’s a 2 year commitment. They receive on their 2nd or 3rd paycheck after they start.
Relocation Assistance: Available on a Case by Case Basis, paid out on the 2nd pay check in full. **2 year commitment required**