R & D Packaging Engineer
This position will be responsible for organizing, planning, managing and executing packaging innovation, development and cost reduction projects. The individual in this role will also support Supply Chain in manufacturing packages that meet customer and consumer expectation for character, cost, and quality. The position develops cooperative working relationships with cross-functional teams, the manufacturing plants (internal & external) as well as external packaging material vendors. The individual will serve as the serve as a technical resource to the organization for packaging.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Gains working knowledge of practical applied problem solving techniques used by related functions and understands their impact within own sphere of influence.
- Technical project leader managing the technical timeline, providing timely communication, outlining issues, risks and contingency plans. Must handle multiple projects.
- Provide packaging project leadership on cross-functional project teams.
- Work with cross functional partners by attending team, commercialization, and individual meetings to understand/define the scope of work required for the different initiatives.
- Conduct, coordinate functional testing including plant trials, lab testing, shelf life studies and material vendor evaluations.
- Develops written packaging specifications and completes thorough plant trial reports.
- Responsible for identifying, defining and solving technical packaging challenges.
- Develop, test and commercialize packaging programs across multiple project types.
- Support the pipeline development/validation/execution of packaging productivity projects
- Understanding of the financial impact of packaging programs and the linkage of packaging to business strategies.
- Demonstrates application of knowledge to new or ambiguous situations to solve problems and progress projects.
- Stays up to date on packaging trends and new technology.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
BS/MS in Package Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related field. 5-15 years of experience in Packaging Development