For this position you MUST be living in the United States.
Will accept H1B+ VISA applicants
Advanced Physics Degree and Fluid Dynamics
This is a 3-9 month contract
Seeking a qualified candidate for an immediate full-time contract role. Need to able to be at plant in MN for one week to understand the project and meet the engineering team. Otherwise, full remote from home. We are looking for a talented and energetic candidate who can thrive in a team environment, support R&D efforts in a new technology/new product development to update a current product line.
The position requires a sound knowledge base in mechanics of fluids and fluid machinery. Expertise in use of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) to analyze, design and optimize fluid machinery components & systems is required. Experience with commercial CFD solvers such as ANSYS CFX/Fluent and Siemens Star CCM+ is highly desirable. The candidate will spend bulk of their time providing analytical and computational modeling as well as support validation testing.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support R&D projects (NTI/NPI) involving fluid machines such as pressure exchangers, centrifugal and reciprocating pumps, turbines, etc.
- Develop analytical and computational fluid dynamics models to analyze fluid machinery designs, suggest ways to optimize design and predict performance over the full operating envelope.
- Leverage commercial CFD tools such as ANSYS CFX/Fluent and/or STAR-CCM+ to generate computational meshes, perform CFD analyses and post process results.
- Leverage 1-D & 2-D tools such as Matlab/Simulink/Simscape, ADT, Dyrobes etc. to analyze and optimize designs.
- Develop validation test plans and work closely with testing team to confirm and validate model predictions. Use commercial and open-source software to process test data and draw physics based insights and inputs for models.
- Participate in the entire development cycle of a fluid machine including 1-D sizing (mechanical & hydraulic), engineering analyses, detailed design, DFMEA, design/selection of rotor-bearing systems, seals & secondary flow paths, validation test rig development, experimental validation, RCAs & release to manufacturing
- Leverage commercial tools such as SolidWorks, ANSYS Mechanical for structural analysis etc., as needed.
- Develop validated semi-empirical performance models of ERI products for distribution to sales team and customers.
- Provide engineering support for product engineering and other business/corporate functions, when requested
- Follow ERI’s internal technology and development processes (PDLCM/RDF) and drive rigorous design reviews / documentation at each phase.
- Contribute to development of validated design tools and design practices
- Other duties & projects as assigned.
Skills & Requirements:
- Master’s or PhD in Physics and/or Mathematics in the area of mechanics of fluids.
- Expertise in commercial CFD solvers such as ANSYS CFX/Fluent required.
- Familiarity with use of a commercial FEA tool such as ANSYS for structural analysis desirable.
- Experience with coefficient of friction, bend radius, fluid dynamics, simulation software development, mathematical calculations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.