The quality assurance manager ensures all products meet certain thresholds of acceptability. Assures consistent quality of production by developing practices, validating processes, providing documentation and managing staff. They work to improve the organization’s efficiency and profitability by reducing waste.
Compensation: $110k – 140k plus potential bonus, PTO, Holiday, Relocation
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Accomplishes quality assurance objectives by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, assigning, scheduling, coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising, and reviewing job contributions; enforcing policies and procedures. Overseeing entire QA and Food Safety Department.
- Achieves quality assurance operational objectives by contributing information and analysis to strategic plans and reviews; preparing and completing action plans; implementing production, productivity, quality, and customer-service standards; identifying and resolving problems; completing audits; determining system improvements; implementing change.
- Develops quality assurance plans by conducting hazard analyses; identifying critical control points and preventive measures; establishing critical limits, monitoring procedures, corrective actions, and verification procedures; monitoring inventories. Maintain and develop as needed company food safety, HACCP, Quality, and Sanitation Standard Operational programs and procedural manuals.
- Maintain and develop all certifications for various program including but not limited to USDA Organic, Animal Welfare, European Union, BRC, etc.
- Validates quality processes by establishing product specifications and quality attributes; measuring production; documenting evidence; determining operational and performance qualification; writing and updating quality assurance procedures.
- Maintains and improves product quality by completing product, company, system, compliance, and surveillance audits; investigating customer complaints; collaborating with other members of management to develop new product and engineering designs, and manufacturing and training methods.
- Prepares quality documentation and reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing information and trends including failed processes, stability studies, recalls, corrective actions, and re-validations.
- Updates job knowledge by studying trends in and developments in quality management; participating in educational opportunities. Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Ensure all company safety guidelines are being followed as well as food safety requirements. Monitor and ensure proper procedures, safety and cleanliness.
- Determine overall plant product quality by conducting and evaluating various product tests and tests related to packaging by planning and implementing traceability testing and monitoring. Responsible for planning and implementing shelf life testing and monitoring.
- Resolve major quality problems at Packers facilities, warehouses, and market areas as required.
- Educate and instruct plant personnel in recommended quality control testing, equipment sanitation and general sanitation and housekeeping practices. Confirm these procedures are being maintained.
- Consult with plant management and personnel on better operational procedures to improve overall efficiency and product yields.
- Discuss plant evaluation with plant management, make appropriate recommendations and set timetable for improvement and corrections.
- Responsible for exhibiting professional behavior with both internal/external business associates that reflects positively on the company and is consistent with the company’s policies and practices.
- Performing other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- Bachelor’s degree in food science, microbiology, or equivalent.
- At least 5 years of work experience in quality assurance, HACCP and Food Safety should be combined with a demonstrated track-record of accomplishments as a quality assurance manager, and with satisfying customers in animal slaughter and fabrication food safety.
- Animal slaughter and fabrication food safety experience.
- Sanitation management experience
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office (e.g., Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Must possess proficient ability to communicate in English in oral and written format
- Ability to apply discretion and trust with confidential material
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy in preparing and entering data
- Ability to effectively apply analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent time managing skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and meet deadlines
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.