We are looking for a Construction Project Manager to join our client and lead our construction business in Santa Clara, CA including project direction, completion and financial outcome.
There are construction companies all over the United States where you can get a job. However, very few, if any can offer you a career as with one of the world’s largest construction and development companies. In 2021, our client generated over $17 billon globally, with over $6 billion in the U.S. They have over 7,000 employees in the U.S., with offices in 28 metro locations.
What we love most about our client is that at the heart of their business approach is a commitment to cultivating, fostering and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in the workplace and the communities where they are located and serve.
The Project Manager leads the Project Management Team. She/he is responsible for planning, executing, and overseeing the project from inception to completion to ensure a timely and cost effective outcome. This includes experience with estimating, budgeting, organizing, scheduling, implementing, commissioning, and closing-out of projects. He/she will act as the owner’s representative and trusted advisor to the client; fulfilling the role of leader, mentor, champion, guardian, and fiduciary trustee of other people’s money, time, and resources. He/she is responsible for ensuring the program/project areas are delivered in a safe, ethical manner, and in compliance with all federal, state, and local laws.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the safety of all assigned employees and subconsultants to ensure the safe execution of all activities, including the strict adherence to company safety policies and programs through the communication and enforcement of the Safety and Health Management Program, including the ability to independently stop work for a safety violation or suspected safety violation
- Be fully verse in program and project management best practices from a horizontal construction perspective
- Drive consistent, friendly, long-term relationships with clients, designers and consultants
- Engage, hire, and manage third party resources (engineering, subject matter experts, consultants, etc.)
- As an owner’s representative have experience with the following:
- Manage vendors’ schedule, performance, and payments
- Ensure compliance with project and owner’s MWBE/LBE/DBE compliance program(s) as required
- Chair project meetings, including project team, owner and subcontractors meetings
- Display a complete understanding of the contract including Skanska’s contractual obligations and the owners obligations
- Identify project risks/issues/opportunities and develop risk mitigation plans (RMPs)
- Ensure timely notice as required to the owner to protect the client’s interests regarding extra work, design changes, delays, impacts, etc.
- Manage project claims in collaboration with owner’s legal department
- Handle project submittals, RFIs, and shop drawings as required by the owner
- Manage and coordinate onsite staff with an ability to mentor and grow those with less experience
- Manage the project budget utilizing industry standard and/or owner required cost control systems
- Compile reports regarding financial, schedule and production reports for the Project Executive
- Prepare and coordinate payments from owner and ensure timely payments
- Develop and maintain the project schedule in sync with the project budget
- Develop and maintain site logistics plan with other Skanska staff
- Ensure all projects/programs are delivered using a quality product meeting the owner’s, Skanska’s, and industry leading high standards of quality
- As a trusted client advisor, have experience with the following:
- Think strategically and broadly with an ability to rapidly assimilate information
- Deftly express how to balance the “wants” of the client with their true “needs”
- Develop solutions and offerings that are not out-of-the-box, but rather are specific to customer requirements
- Have experience analyzing information and have an understanding of how to gather both qualitative and quantitative data points
- An eye for detail, numbers, and graphics
- Clear ability to display gravitas and ownership the room without appearing cocky, condescending, or false
- Most importantly, be an eager, willing, and forward-thinking team player who gets what it means to be part of a world-class organization. You must be able to smile through adversity, come to the table with solutions, thrive in a demanding environment, respectfully challenge yourself and others, be unsettled by the status quo, and have awesome opinions and ideas!
Skills & Abilities
- Thorough understanding of fixed-fee, T&M, cost plus fee, multi-prime, and unit price contracts
- Clear understanding of CM Agency, PMCM, design-bid-build, design-build/progressive design-build, CMAR, IPD, 3P, and EPC delivery methodologies
- Exhibits very strong leadership qualities
- Quantifiable and qualitative time management and organizational skills
- Strong understanding of financial operations and corporate cost control systems, processes, and tools
- Computer proficient with an understanding and ability to use the latest BIM, analytics, and industry specific software (i.e. SAP, P6, Maximo, Tableau, Qlik, Revit, Autodesk Civil 3D) and the ability to adapt to new innovations and processes
- Strong written, communication, and problem solving skills
- Solid math, accounting, and estimating skills
- Exceptional understanding of horizontal construction industry trends, markets, and current events both nationally and locally
- Familiarity with appropriate regulatory bodies, manuals, and standards (e.g. AASHTO, Caltrans Highway Design Manual, Caltrans Standard Plans and Standard Specifications, LA County Hydrology Manual)
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, architecture, or construction management preferred
- Minimum of 8 years of progressive experience in management of horizontal/vertical public sector construction projects
- Professional engineering or architecture license preferred
- CCM, PMP, DBIA, LEED certificates a plus
A DIVERSE WORKFORCE MATTERS TO US!
Our client conducts business with a high degree of honesty, integrity, transparency and strives for an environment where everyone is free to bring their whole self to work each day. Through authentically embracing different ideas, perspectives, and backgrounds, our client is creating a stronger and more innovative culture. More importantly, they are contributing to a sustainable and more equitable future for their people, customers and communities.