Technology Development Engineer role supports developing and existing processes by creating fundamental engineering knowledge and correlations around single unit operations and composite systems to create innovative processes, identify process opportunities, assist in value assessment, plant design and process execution. The TDE will develop mass, energy and carbon balance models to support frontend research projects as well as provide field assistance at the pilot and plant levels at appropriate project stages. This position will provide solutions and generate PFDs, then work with design engineering staff to develop design packages. He/she will assist in leading technical projects through different stages of product development.
- Conduct research to develop new and improved manufacturing processes related to biofuels, adjacent applications and low carbon technologies. Define and validate applicable models and correlations of fundamental engineering principles as they impact industrial scale operation.
- Develop material and energy balances for new and developing processes. Create relevant PFDs and other support material for eventual design work with PE group.
- Support use and development of techno-economic tools in process and equipment design, starting at the frontend ideation phase.
- Strong process simulation skills to enable multiple stage modeling of process systems and unit operations, and ability to validate models with scale testing.
- Develop strategies and concepts to integrate new technologies developed.
- Analyze operating procedures, equipment and machinery function to reduce processing time and cost. Design development plans to execute on process and equipment invention and optimization.
- Design equipment and processes to control movement and storage of solids, liquids, and gases through unit operations such as industrial dryers and load out systems.
- Scope measurement and control systems for ethanol plants based on data collected in laboratory experiments, pilot plant operations, and industrial scale operations.
- Mentor, lead and manage junior process development engineers as needed. Train relevant staff on new engineering and technology concepts to support commercialization efforts. Develop tools for other staff members to use to simplify engineering assessments.
Education/Certification: Bachelor degree in chemical engineering or related technical discipline required 5+ years’ process engineering or related experience or training required in the field of product development
Skills/Abilities: Experience conducting techno-economic analysis of product processes Possess excellent computer skills utilizing MS Office products; AutoCAD and ChemCAD or ASPEN software a plus Experience with carbon counting methodologies and policies a plus
Up to 10% travel required or as needed.