- Provide leadership for problem solving initiatives to deliver continuous improvement and process optimization for key result metrics including sustainability initiatives at plant.
- Responsible for collaboration and communication activities that support improvement in productivity, quality, operational process technology for plant chemistries, and customer satisfaction for identified gaps, including sharing lessons learned and best practices through the network.
- Mentors and develops employees using various methodologies for value streams to support the delivery of asset productivity targets.
- Develops strong working relationships with all cross-functional departments including SHE, ManEx, research & development, marketing/sales, sourcing/logistics, supply chain, and finance to ensure support and execution of identified improvement projects. Interactions will include global technology network participation, as well.
- Drive LEAN Six Sigma integration and continuously identify ways to reduce plant-operating costs, increase quality, improve process technology, and comply with Responsible Care requirements through the incorporation of operational excellence strategies and the collection and analysis of plant data.
- Leads root cause analysis using a variety of tools to ensure sustainable solutions are identified and appropriate control plans are implemented and supports troubleshooting and solving process technology related issues.
- Leads and/or supports the regional sustainability program initiatives to deliver relevant targets in energy, waste, water, and GHG.
- Support for new product introduction, grade transfers, new raw material trials, and process improvement management of change initiatives.
- Ensures that engineering work meets the required company standards and applicable statutory compliance regulations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Chemistry or related Science.
- 5 years of experience in continuous improvement in a chemical manufacturing environment, preferably a Six Sigma certification, experience with emulsion polymerization and process technology preferred.
- 5 plus years of experience in continuous improvement in a chemical manufacturing environment focused on sustainability/energy consumption, OEE1, quality, and process technology and efficiencies.
Skills, Abilities & Knowledge:
- Demonstrated strong collaboration skills, interpersonal savvy, persuasion and negotiation skills, and agility to effectively interact with all levels of employees, vendors and external engineering firms.
- Data driven with a proven track record of problem solving, preferably Six Sigma black belt.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with the ability to prioritize safety, particularly management of change, with drive to improve throughput and quality.
- Knowledge and understanding of project and change management principles in planning, organizing and managing resources to bring about successful completion and adoption of project goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of lean technology and manufacturing excellence processes to enhance process flows and develop operating and tactical plans to improve efficiency, product quality and optimize cost. Previous experience leading and implementing continuous improvement and the use of lean tools is desired.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions to expand margins and profitability.
- Strategic thinker: Able to understand the “big picture” and demonstrated ability to identify indicators of system performance, monitor performance and develop actions to improve or correct performance relative to goals.
- Solid knowledge of Process Safety Management (PSM) in relation to continuous improvement risk assessment is desired.
- Knowledge of specialty chemicals chemistry and operating technologies; Emulsion polymerization experience desired.
- Business acumen to support interactions with commercial and business colleagues.
- Black or green belt and Lean Six Sigma training desired. Knowledge of statistics, SPC and SQC to support problem solving.