Plant Metallurgist Process Engineer
This position must be able to assist in production and quality processes with emphasis in meeting customer deadlines, quality standards, scrap reduction, non-conformities, fewer returns, productivity improvements, product development, product management/improvement and safety improvements.
This position requires an individual who desires a career in the strip processing industry, possesses strong technical and leadership skills, pays attention to detail and has the ability to handle a large volume of smaller projects.
The incumbent must work in close cooperation with department supervisors and appropriate maintenance and operations personnel to ensure correct and proper operation of all related equipment to obtain the desired production, safety, and quality levels as needed.
This position will ultimately gain a more thorough understanding of the company’s materials and processes that could provide expansion into new markets.
This position must also be comfortable and effective supporting sales & marketing selling the technical benefits of our products.
- Coordinates manufacturing processes and improve manufacturing methods.
- Provide metallurgical and process engineering support to the shop floor.
- Develop, implement and manage all processes and procedures to ensure the material produced meets and exceeds the customer specifications
- Will assist in preparation and/or review of all procedures, diagrams and flow charts needed for the correct and efficient operation of equipment. This will include the need to collect, interpret and extrapolate data from the production process in order to monitor current performance against established practices and make recommendations on how to improve efficiencies for the future.
- Support continuous improvement efforts to improve process procedures and standards.
- Make recommendations and provide cost effective solutions to improve yields.
- Apply statistical methods to improve manufacturing processes and capabilities
- Analyzing manufacturing process flows continually for the enhancements of quality, cost reduction, and throughput.
- Investigation of customer complaints and assisting in the determination of root causes and applying appropriate corrective actions in conjunction with the Production department.
- Leading and supporting supplier development and problem resolution efforts.
- This position reports directly to the V.P. of Engineering.
- Provide technical selling support to sales & marketing.
- Bachelor’s degree in Metallurgy, Metallurgical Engineering, Material Engineering/Science or closely related discipline. Mechanical engineering experience will be a plus.
- Prefer a candidate with five years’ experience in a metals processing environment.
- Proven ability to work independently, be a self-starter, problem solver and self-directed.
- Must be able to apply engineering fundamentals to the continuous improvement efforts of production and maximize the efficiency of the production operation.
- A knowledge or experience with Lean manufacturing and Six Sigma techniques would be preferred.
- Working knowledge of thermal processing, cold working, and processing of nickel, cobalt, titanium alloys and specialty stainless steels.
- Limited travel both domestically and internationally will be required.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Proven ability to create and present information to all levels.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio).