APC (Advanced Process Control), MPC (Multivariable Predictive Control), modeling, regulatory control, PACE, DMC, process optimization, loop tuning, DCS (Distributed Control System)
Job Position Summary:
This position is primarily responsible for implementing MVPC – APC projects as well as key OT related functions for computer setup, digital security program compliance, networking and virtualization platform support as needed. The role may expand into other key department programs centered around process control as needed.
Develops innovative technologies and sustainable solutions, optimizing the use of air and the planet’s natural resources, enabling progress and preserving life. Located in over 80 countries, we have more than 1,000,000 customers globally in diverse industries such as steel, food and beverage, electronics and pharmaceuticals. By using gases naturally present in the atmosphere, separates and purifies them into oxygen, nitrogen, argon, and various rare gases and then distributes them to clientele by pipeline, compression, cylinders, or in some cases, produced directly on a client’s site. Also uses other natural resources of gas to produce other gases caused by chemical reaction of their clients’ usage (hydrogen, carbon dioxide, acetylene, helium, ozone, carbon monoxide).
Job Title: Process Control Engineer – SURE Program
City & State/Province/Country: Houston, Texas, USA
Seeking a Process Controls Engineer to work in Houston, Texas to:
● Assist with technical support to operating facilities to resolve control system operational or performance issues; including but not limited to troubleshooting, configuration, and loop tuning (as it relates to critical loops) while adhering to the corporate Management of Change (MOC) policy. Assist in control system validation to meet FDA requirements.
● Assist with identifying opportunities where Advanced Process control (APC) applications will improve process efficiency, operational consistency and base process control (BPC) layer performance.
● Build value/acceptance of APC applications within Operations, Zone and Plant Management and Operators, through discussion, training and demonstrated success;
● Assist experienced APC engineers with detailed project scope, cost estimates and benefits to justify APC projects.
● Support/Implement new/revamp projects within budget and on schedule.
● Collect/analyze process data; assist with identifying poor BPC layer and troubleshooting final control elements issues; perform step testing; identify key (control, deviation, manipulated) variables; develop APC models for required operating modes within an Air Separation Unit (ASU) and/or H2 process; using these models, implement multivariable process control (MVPC) using PACE (Platform for Advanced Control and Estimation) software to optimize plant operations, production energy efficiency.
● Provide control systems engineering support for selected capital projects which includes; scope development, engineering labor and equipment estimate, control system architecture, control system design objective, system configuration and networking, Factory Acceptance Test, Site Acceptance Test, and startup management within your sphere of experience. Provide oversight for field installation activities as required primarily as it relates to the APC scope.
● Develop proficiency in ASU and/or H2 process (es).
● Assist in supporting Process Engineering within operations to establish/modify plant standards of control.
● Learn and understand industrial control system engineering practices and learn how to apply to established standard hardware, software, system development, applications, project implementation workflow, and documentation.
● Provide 24×7 technical support as required for existing and new MVPC applications.
● Provide proactive remote monitoring (KPI) of advanced process control performance and utilization; provide feedback/reports to operations management for tracking return on investment; provide continuous improvement of the KPI tool.
● Assist in providing continuous improvement of APC and automation strategies; Act as an APC Technical Lead for selected process control system projects that require APC control system interface logic.
● Assist in providing support to Large Industries Regional reliability and maintenance groups to develop control strategy improvements for overall APC implementation benefits and provide consultation, review, and approval of changes as required.
● Assist in providing automation (DCS/PLC) configuration support for APC interface, control strategy implementation, testing; For existing systems, provide leadership and support for upgrading and maintaining APC systems at the latest approved revision levels.
● Utilize practical knowledge of process control theory.
● Provide documentation for APC projects, including write-up of proposals, estimates, application scope description, MOC (Management of Change), and deliverables.
● Virtual Machine/Computer setup, network communication troubleshooting for windows OS platforms in relation to APC projects.
● Be willing to share knowledge at external events through presentations, panels and/or article submissions.
● Comply with all corporate policies, practices, standards and procedures.
● 2+ years process industry experience. Equivalent combination of education and experience acceptable.
● BS degree in Chemical, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering required (Professional Engineer registration preferred).
● Knowledgeable in cryogenic air separation process technology, distillation process technology or H2 processes.
● Field experience in control system troubleshooting and support preferred.
● Requires approximately 40% travel.
● Able to effectively work within a diverse, international organization with a mix of plant and corporate engineering environments.
● Willing to carry a cellular phone and have access to company computers to respond to requests for technical assistance during off-duty hours.
● Willing to maintain/or obtain Professional Engineering Licensure.
● 2+ years experience in programmable control system specification, configuration, networking, commissioning and technical support; preferably with a mix of plant and corporate engineering environments.
● Experience with Microsoft Windows operating systems (Windows XP minimum).
● Experience with MVPC software (Yokogawa PACE preferred, Aspen DMC+ acceptable).
● Experience with Automation Platform preferred (Ex: DeltaV, APACS, Foxboro, Yokogawa, PLC systems).
● Knowledge of Base Layer Control tuning preferred.
● Have a practical understanding of computer networking.
● Familiarity with communication protocols such as DDE, OPC DA/UA or Suitelink.
● Knowledge of Google Office Productivity Suite (Drive, Doc, Sheets, etc…) is a plus.
● Practical knowledge of process control theory is a plus.
● Strong communication skills, written and oral. Able to effectively interface with other engineering disciplines/organizations, plant operations and senior management.
● Strong analytical and organizational skills, able to multi-task with changing priorities.
Must be able to wear personal safety equipment, including hard hats, safety glasses, safety shoes, and flame resistant clothing.