POSITION: Operating Room Staff Nurse
SUMMARY: The primary responsibility of this position is to provide nursing care to ensure the safety of the patient during their stay in the surgical suite.
- POSITION DUTIES
- To utilize specialized nursing knowledge and discriminative judgment while giving direct and indirect patient
- Performs assessment of patient for specific nursing care
- Plans care to ensure patient
- Directs and assists in carrying out safe aseptic & sterile techniques and procedures.
- Supervises and directs the activities of non-professional personnel as necessary.
- To perform the tasks delegated to the “circulating”
- Checks room for needed supplies and prepares room for specific patient and
- Assist in transporting patient to O.R. and checks patient record for appropriate pre-op preparation and procedures (i.e. lab, x-ray, appropriate permits).
- Performs and/or directs appropriate surgical
- Completes documentation for O.R. records, laboratory requisitions, and patient chart including medications and physician
- Directs proper care of instruments, supplies, sterilization, and storage of equipment.
- Supervises and assists with the proper, safe positioning of the
- Performs sponge, needle, and instrument counts and documentation of same.
- Identifies, labels, and cares for all surgical specimens properly.
- Secures emergency equipment and supplies as
- Controls the general “tone” of the operating
- To perform the tasks of the “scrub”
- Scrub, gowns, and gloves members of surgical team following aseptic techniques.
- Sets up operating room with all necessary equipment and
- Arranges instruments according to routine for a given
- Handles instruments correctly and checks for cleanliness and proper working
- Maintains sterile field throughout the surgical
- Performs clean up following procedures, as well as general housekeeping
Functions in the role of second assistant following successful skills demonstration.
- To function efficiently as a member of surgical
- Provides assistance to team members, physicians, and anesthesia personnel as needed (i.e. reliability, working relations, initiative, training needs).
- Reviews physicians’ preference cards and updates as
- Assists in stocking, preparation, and waste management of
- Performs other related duties as
- To support quality
- Develop communication skills and promote departmental relationships to ensure continuity of
- Participates in on-going committees and other educational programs to enhance patient
- Maintains current CPR certification and any advanced life support certifications.
- REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS
- Immediate Supervisor: Director of Nursing
- Positions to be supervised: Surgical Technician
Non-professional Personnel in O.R.
- Internal: Staff in Clinical and Business Office
- External: Physicians, Allied Health Professionals, Patients and Families, Representatives of Medical
- POSITION CHARACTERISTICS
It is necessary to perform some overtime beyond regularly scheduled work hours to provide patient care. Additionally, some on-call duty may be required. Because of the nature of procedures in the O.R. and patient care issues, this job can be stressful and hectic.
- POSITION REQUIREMENTS
Physical and mental – 80% walking, standing, pushing, pulling, required to move patients. Potential exists for exposure to blood and body fluids as well as other hazardous materials. Personal protective equipment should be utilized as needed. Must have a thorough knowledge of general nursing theory and practice; a knowledge of operating room technique; possess strong organization skills and flexibility; present good communication skills; have the ability to assess priorities; present a professional image; and be able to handle periods of stress.
- POSITION SPECIFICATIONS
The Operating Room Staff Nurse must be a graduate of an accredited School of Nursing and be currently licensed to practice nursing. A minimum of one year experience in the operating room. Certification is preferred. The successful candidate must have the ability to work independently as well as function within a team; have the ability to assess patient needs, determine priorities, plan and direct care for the surgical patient, and must possess the ability to handle stress.
Hours are 8am – 430pm.
Full benefits. Please email resume to be considered.