We are searching for a Mycology Scientist – Fungal Growth Expert – to spearhead bioreactor commercialization strategy for an innovative biotech startup in Austin, TX.
This exciting and well funded company, a biotech sustainability startup, is pushing the boundaries of frontier science to help solve the global plastic problem, exploring various natural methods to breakdown plastics, including the use of fungi. All candidates must have experience running bioreactors.
Requirements for the Mycology Scientist:
- Bachelor’s OR Masters OR PhD degree in Biology, Microbiology, Biotechnology, or similar.
- Proven mastery in cultivating filamentous fungi within bioreactors.
- Demonstrated experience in bioreactor upscaling from bench top to commercial scale (>1,000L).
- Knowledge in fungal cultivation, evolution, and bioprocess scale-up techniques preferred
- Proficiency in experimental design, data analysis, and statistical software preferred
- Strong team collaboration and communication skills, essential for cross-functional teamwork.
- Previous startup experience is a plus.
- The ability to thrive in a disruptive start-up environment with limited oversight.
Responsibilities of the Mycology Scientist:
- Act as the subject matter expert on filamentous fungal growth.
- Manage bench top – pilot bioreactor operations with future scaling prospects.
- Partner with R&D for tech development, offering support in research, experimentation, and analytical assessment.
Occupational Category: 19-1029 Biological Scientists, All Other
: Please apply using the form or send your resume to Surf Search