The Materials Manager directs the activities of buyers (supplier schedulers / material planners) who are responsible for the factory planning of raw materials, parts, and supplies consistent with delivery requirements and quality specifications.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Managing, controlling, and directing the material planning, inventory control, storage, shipping, and receiving functions.
- Coordinates with the purchasing, production, and engineering departments to ensure adequate supply and efficient movement of materials.
- Provides for the development and maintenance of inventory control systems to track status of purchase orders, inventory levels, and production requirements.
- Reviews existing procedures for accuracy; recommends and implements improved procedures when necessary.
- Forecasts plans for anticipated materials requirements.
- Reviews production schedules to ensure the availability of materials.
- Directs the procurement activities of buyers.
- Responsible for the outcome of team procurement negotiations and supplier management.