This position directs and formulates procedures and policies to make certain materials are available and delivered when needed, schedules are issued and followed and delivery to customers are met. Manages incoming and outgoing movement of all materials. Monitors material and supply inventories through CMS. Supervises purchasing, scheduling, and shipping/receiving. Responsible for the development and administration of “OUR CLIENT” purchasing procedures and practices, ensuring prompt delivery of quality goods at a fair price. Participates in the planning of labor based on customer activity.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
• Direct the purchase of supplies, materials, packaging, and equipment in conformance with ethical purchasing practices.
• Along with Engineering, selects reliable sources, approve purchase orders, control prices and participate in supplier Quality issues.
• Contact suppliers for information on factors affecting prices, availability, and delivery of products. Ensure supplier management systems are in place to meet company and TS16949 requirements.
• Investigate potential supply sources and visit vendors to investigate facilities capacity and ability to provide quality products as required.
• Direct purchase of items that must be specially designed, produced or modified in accordance with drawing or engineering specifications.
• Investigate and direct purchase of items that fit the specifications outlined for
• minority or women owned businesses.
• Participate in the preparation of specifications required to obtain outside bids.
• Exchange information with internal personnel regarding requirements for equipment, materials, and supplies.
• Monitor inventory levels and work to reduce inventory.
• Supervise personnel in purchasing, scheduling, and shipping/receiving functions.
• Ensure delivery and shipment of materials occurs timely and within process guidelines.
• Promote and monitor safe work practices in all Materials departments.
• Act as packaging liaison with customers. Complete appropriate customer packaging forms.
• Assist in design of packaging that meets company safety, ergonomic, and quality guidelines.
• Work with scheduling to maintain communications with customers regarding delivery of packaging.
• Ensure compliance with regulations regarding receipt and delivery of hazardous materials.
• Ensure customs paperwork is completed and filed per federal guidelines for overseas receipts and shipments.
• Perform budgetary planning for manning and capital items related to purchasing and logistics. Provide justifications for budgetary decisions including capital.
• Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and acceptable laws.
• Monitor and direct CMS use and integrity for MRP, EDI and Inventory.
• Manage internal and external warehouse space and organization.
• Organize, train employees, and conduct annual wall to wall physical for facility including reconciliation and accounting audit liaison.
• Participate in TS and environmental audits as necessary.
Additional Duties & Responsibilities
• Assist with interviewing, hiring and training employees
• Planning, assigning and directing work
• Creating goals and Appraising performance
• Rewarding and disciplining direct reports
• Addressing complaints and resolving problems.
• Perform other duties and responsibilities as required.
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business, technical procedures, and governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers and customers.
• Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, discounts, interest, commissions, and proportions to practical situations.
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in
mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
• The ability to interact professionally with employees, customers, and suppliers at all levels. Must have the ability to interact with both Japanese and Americans.
• The ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; gather and
analyze information skillfully; develop alternative solutions; and work well in group problem solving.
• Strive to continuously build knowledge and skills, shares expertise with others. Be proficient in utilizing MRP software.
• Demonstrate group and individual presentation skills; actively participate in
meetings, including high level customer and supplier meetings
• The ability to write legibly and logically to communicate with both internal and external customers. This includes high level customer and supplier communications.
Education & Experience Required
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business
• Five Years Materials Management and/or Purchasing Experience
• CPIM and/or CSCP Certifications preferred
• Material Supervisor (shipping/receiving)
• Purchasing Analyst
• Inventory Specialist
• Plant and Office Environments
• Outside Travel
Candidate must be able to handle confidential data. Some travel required.