Food Safety & Quality Technician
Our Bourbonnais, Illinois food client is looking to hire a Food Safety & Quality Technician. Under the direction of the Food Safety & Quality Manager, this Food Safety & Quality Technician provides oversight for the quality, food safety and food defense programs in the assigned area/location. Duties also include: guidance of and assisting in the creating, implementation and administration of security and biosecurity programs. The FSQ Technician attains and maintains required programs such as SQF and HACCP. Key component of food processing regulatory and customer compliance requirements, communication and initiatives.
· Ensure compliance with product safety and quality parameters in the processing area with regards to company standards, customer requirements, cGMP’s, HACCP, and USDA, FDA and other regulations as they apply.
· As the SQF practitioner or backup SQF practitioner, this position is responsible for the implementation of the SQF program and has authority to take appropriate action(s) to ensure the integrity of the SQF system is maintained.
· Perform regularly scheduled pre-operational verifications of sanitation
· Daily audit of process, procedures and records
· Interface with USDA inspector(s) in absence of department manager
· Oversight of product, process testing and environmental monitoring.
· Audit and support food safety, quality, feed, security, biosecurity, and animal welfare programs
· Critical thinking. Writing reports, procedures, policies, and plans
· Work in tandem with FSQ Manager, Animal Welfare Manager and Senior Compliance Manager to integrate programs and audit birds and feed supply for animal welfare, egg safety, feed safety and quality.
· Compilation and analysis of data.
· Communication with FSQ Manager, site management, contract flock and mill managers (as applicable), for normal communications, problem identification, out of compliance situations and process improvements.
· Participate in Vendor Certification Program.
· Responsible for training processing employees and QA technicians about food safety and quality.
· Provide informal leadership to stakeholders, supervisors, and management in regard to quality management and initiatives.
· College degree in related field is preferred but not required.
· 2-5 years of experience.
· Animal agriculture, food production, food processing, medical or pharmaceutical fields.
· SQF, HACCP, ASQ, PAACO, Water Operator certifications a plus.
· Valid driver’s license
· Thorough knowledge of Food Quality Systems.
· Strong organizational skills required.
· Hands-on, self-starter approach.
· Detail orientation.
· Ability to handle multiple projects and priorities.
· Computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite required.
· Formal and informal leadership skills important.
· Good communication skills and ability to inform, train and motivate employees and contract suppliers to work within company parameters are a must.
· Enforce company requirements, take corrective actions and implement preventative actions as needed.
· Bi-lingual in Spanish and English is a plus.
· Ability to interact with individuals from diverse ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds.
· Ability to hire, train, motive, and retain a talented workforce.
· Ability to provide effective coaching, mentoring, and discipline.
· Ability to plan, execute, and measure results and outcomes.