This Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS) Specialist is responsible for planning, directing, and implementing environmental, health and safety programs to ensure a safe and accident-free work environment by performing the following duties personally or through others.
Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Leads safety and environmental initiatives. Makes recommendations for improvement. Follows-up to make sure initiatives are maintained and successful.
- Plans and implements safety policies and procedures in compliance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), local, state and federal rules and regulations. Follows-up to ensure appropriate action is taken.
- Plans and implements environmental policies and procedures in compliance with
EPA, local, state and federal regulations.
- Prepares studies and analysis of industrial accident causes, hazards to health and environmental issues for use by company personnel and outside agencies, makes recommendations for improvement, and follows-up to ensure appropriate action is taken.
- Inspects organization facilities and grounds to detect existing or potential accident, health hazards, and environmental concerns to determine corrective
or preventive measures where indicated and follows up to ensure measures have been implemented.
- Provides information, signs, posters, barriers and other materials to warn of potential and actual safety and environmental hazards and to prevent access to
- Leads the investigations of accidents, injuries and environmental concerns, cooperates in the preparation of material and evidence for organizational use as well as in hearings, lawsuits and insurance investigations.
- Compiles and submits accident and environmental reports required by regulatory agencies in a timely manner.
- Manages and administers the workers’ compensation program, including initiation of continuous improvement programs to reduce pain and suffering, as well as accidents and incidents. Prepares all appropriate reports accurately and in a timely manner. Also, works with the insurance carrier to reduce employee lost time.
- Represents the organization in the community or industry safety groups and programs.
- Maintains safety and environmental files and records in an orderly manner.
- Ability to train others including conducting (but not limited to) annual or sooner required safety and environmental training.
- Certified lead auditor for ISO 14001.
- Leads the organization’s safety team(s).
- Prepares appropriate reports, documentation and audits in a timely manner.
- Utilizes initiative to develop strategies to drive down injury rates and cost, and to maximize employee relations initiatives.
Additional Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required or assigned by manager.
- A high level of integrity and honesty
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong platform skills
- Self-motivation/dependability/responsibility. (ability to work without close supervision)
- A high level of professional maturity
- Ability to work effectively as a team member
- Must be able to work flexible hours to accommodate training schedules and support off-shifts
- Working knowledge of OSHA general industry standards and other applicable regulations and the ability to operationalize standards and regulations in a company setting
- Ability to gather and analyze data, and make decisions based upon it.
- Ability to write reports, written plans, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, employees and customers.
- Ability to write training programs, and train others individually and in groups.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic statistics, algebra and geometry.
- Must possess effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to solve problems by utilizing problem solving methodologies.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret a variety of instructions, procedures, or periodicals, or regulations, furnished in written, oral diagram or schedule form.
Education & Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university; plus two years of work experience, or four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Vision insurance