The Cost Accountant reports to the VP of Finance. This position helps to oversee and analyze cost
expenditures and purchases within the organization, as well as provide relevant financial information to
management as support for strategic business decisions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
• Assist with development and maintenance of the cost accounting system, documents, and records of the
• Maintaining and updating finished goods standards for inventory calculations
• Identify standard materials and labor costs for manufactured goods.
• Participate in the design and implementation of the indirect purchasing system.
• Collect cost information and maintain indirect purchasing system.
• Analyze manufacturing costs and prepare regular reports comparing standard costs to actual production
• Analyze costs and cost savings to make recommendations on changes to the company’s processes and
policies to reduce costs and maximize profits.
• Accumulating, analyzing, and reporting unit cost variances and shrinkage.
• Help evaluate equipment availability and utilization.
• Assist with physical inventory counts.
• Prepare and complete internal cost audits and present findings to management.
• Work closely with Supply Chain to provide them with support relating to cost-related matters.
• Assist in audits and general ledger preparation.
• Comply with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) for financial statements.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting from a credible college or university preferred or comparable work
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Power Point, Excel)
• Highly skilled in dealing with financial and numeric data.
• Solid understanding of accounting standards and procedures
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability to prioritize workload in order to meet tight deadlines in a fast paced environment
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
• Demonstrated attention to detail and good record keeping
• Team player and can collaborate with other teams in the organization