Job Purpose: This position will build and lead a team of engineers and technicians to develop and deploy the process automation and control system for the Employer’s gasification technology. The team will support operation, maintenance, and testing activities at their demonstration plant located in Monterey County. The Manager will be responsible for developing the functional design specifications and instrumentation selection for future commercial technology. The team will also lead control system integration with vendor supplied equipment as part of complete project. The manager will lead the team to implement and validate novel and advanced control strategies at the demonstration facility to de-risk them prior to implementation in commercial deployments of the technology. The manager will lead the current team of two and is expected to develop the team capabilities through training and hiring to support development and deployment of the technology.
Essential Job Duties/Responsibilities:
• Provide training, mentoring and leadership to process controls and instrumentation team.
• Participate in process safety review meetings and ensure implementation of robust instrumentation and logic as control or mitigation measures.
• Perform duties/responsibilities while making safety of self and others a priority and complying with safety policies, procedures, and best practices.
• Ensure direct reports comply with safety policies, procedures, and best practices.
• Work with engineers and instrumentation technicians to implement control strategies, instrumentation, computer hardware and programming.
• Manage third party instrumentation and control engineering contractors and suppliers and ensure delivery of agreed scope within budget and on-time.
• Implement advanced process control schemes to ensure stable operation of a gasification process with widely varying feed material. These may include model predictive control and elements of AI / ML.
• Stay abreast of the latest Control Applications and latest industry trends.
• Assist the design team with developing control design standards.
• Communicate and interface openly and frequently with project managers, project engineers and staff at corporate office.
• Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Allen Bradley ControlLogix programming is highly desired (Ladder and Function Block programming)
• Instrument selection and specifications in corrosive, dirty, high temperature, Class 1, and Class 2 hazardous services. (gas and liquid flow, pressure, temperature, level, control valves and other final control elements, actuators)
• Experience with design and implementation of Safety Instrumented Systems per ISA 84/ IEC 61511 a plus
• Experience designing and implementing high-performance HMI per ISA 101 or similar standard is highly desired
• Experience with Rockwell Automation PlantPAx process library a plus
• Build and maintain databases for large volumes of process data, create or select algorithms to process, visualize and interpret data
• Experience with OSIsoft PI Historian database management is highly desired
• Knowledge of latest developments in AI / ML, relevant algorithms, and ability to select, qualify and manage vendors to support this effort
• Experience integrating packaged equipment with DCS systems or upgrading legacy control systems into modern DCS architectures a plus
• Development of instrumentation and control system specifications and design documents
• Control system architecture and wiring design, including SCADA, Ethernet and Modbus
• Familiar with AutoCAD for P&ID and Control Panel drawings, etc.
• Coordination with colleagues in other engineering disciplines
• Coordination with clients, equipment vendors and contractors on projects
• Field commissioning support on project during start-up efforts
• Prioritizing tasks and efficiently managing time
• Ability to exercise good judgment and effectiveness
• Learns quickly and willing to ask for help
• Skills in both written and spoken communication to support customers, teammates, and external users with a wide range of skill levels
• Ability to work in a collegial, collaborative environment
• Ability to multitask, prioritize tasks, and to efficiently manage time
Level of Supervision: Receives high-level supervision and general direction as to goals and achievement of those goals. Evaluated based on the successful achievement of goals.
Education and Experience
• Degree in Chemical engineering, Systems Engineering or similar field.
• Minimum 10 years’ experience in process control and automation with strong preference for Chemical Process Industry experience. Rockwell Automation (Allen Bradley) experience a plus
o ControlLogix and CompactLogix PLC
o Powerflex 753 and 525 VFDs and E300 Motor Control Relays
• 2-3 years direct supervision of engineers or a project team is highly desired
• Experience with commissioning and plant startup is a plus
• Must be able to perform tasks necessary at the project sites. These tasks require that the candidate can:
o Hear alarms.
o Have good color vision and ability to distinguish color traced wiring & schematics
o Communicate via radio.
o Work in inclement weather.
o Climb outdoor plant ladders and superstructure.
o Comply with safety policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
• Must pass basic military background checks to access US Military facilities.
• Must have acceptable results for post-offer background checks, drug screen, and medical tests/exams.
• Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without sponsorship.
• Must be fully vaccinated plus booster before employment. If eligible and have not received booster, must get booster within two weeks of hire date. If not currently eligible, must receive booster when eligible.