The controller position is responsible for the accounting operations of the company, to include the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of the system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and processes designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles. The Controller has direct and/or indirect supervision of the Finance Department, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, invoicing and credit/collections and is responsible for managing the team to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure
- Supervise the daily operations of payroll, including overseeing the maintenance of payroll records, logs and files in accordance with Company policy and state and federal laws and regulations
- Fill in for the payroll administrator as needed
- As credit manager, analyze delinquent accounts, provide recommendations for resolution and ensure professional relationships are established and maintained with clients and attorneys
- Ensure an accurate and timely quarterly and year end close
- Ensure the timely reporting of all monthly/quarterly financial information
- Assist the Treasurer in the daily banking requirements
- Support budget and forecasting activities
- Collaborate with the other finance department managers to support overall department goals and objectives
- Monitor and analyze department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy
- Respond to inquiries from the Executive Management team, and other finance and firm wide managers regarding in financial results, special reporting requests and the like
- Work with the Treasurer to ensure a clean and timely year-end audit
- Supervise the general ledger group to ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met
- Assist in the development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department
- Provided training to new and existing staff as needed
- Handle personnel issues relating to staff conflicts, absenteeism, performance issues, etc.
- Work with each direct report to establish goals and objectives for each year and monitor and advise on the progress to enhance the professional development of staff
- Support Treasurer with special projects and workflow process improvements
- Commitment to safety begins with management. Managers and frontline supervisors are accountable for creating and maintaining a culture of Safety and assuring a safe work environment.
- Other projects/duties as assigned
FOOD SAFETY RESPONSIBILITIES
This job has no food safety responsibilities.
Directly supervises various employees over multiple disciplines.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree (B. S.) from four-year College or University (specializing in Finance); a minimum of ten years related experience and/or training in a related field. CPA preferred.