The Business Systems Analyst position is responsible for the analysis of business processes and their integration with technology and is the recognized authority on the systems the person is assigned. The position solicits, understands, and documents the business requirements, processes and workflows. This information is then used to create the required functional and nonfunctional specifications as necessary to meet the business need. The position serves as a subject matter expert and works closely with the business, other BSAs, developers, and testers through each stage of the software development lifecycle to build and test the required capability.
This position requires an experienced analyst who partners effectively with all levels of the organization, leads other BSAs; works across components within a system to determine and assess gaps in capability; proactively identifies and resolves problems; and recommends solutions that drive results.
This position requires a self-starter who needs little direct supervision and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities. The position reports to a member of the Shared Services management team.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Works with business customers to formulate and communicate the business vision, to envision initial requirements, to scope the project, to identify potential areas of automation, and to aid in reengineering the underlying business process
- Work with business customers to identify, model, and then document their requirements and business domain details
- Work with technical staff to determine and document technical/non-functional requirements
- Coach and mentor Business Systems Analysts
- Provide leadership in activities that are dictated by the SDLC, such as requirements reviews, planning meetings, etc.
- Clarify technical and architectural complexities for project stakeholders (i.e. explain what the developers are doing and why they need to do it, including explanations of the basis of schedules and estimates)
- Contribute to user interface design and usability testing using current and industry-standard techniques
- Document acceptance criteria and be a resource to the IT Quality Assurance organization
- Act as a “customer surrogate” for software developers and other IT project team members so that requirements, domain information, and business priorities are provided in a timely fashion
- Assist business customers in the development and execution of end user training materials and plans
- Test and validate results of production application deployments, and provide formal sign-off for change requests
- Provide business knowledge to validate and facilitate task estimation for new work requests
- Perform updates to system tables (e.g. rate tables) and reference tables (i.e. code or lookup tables) as necessary
- Three Guidewire PC Commercial Lines experience – Inland Marine, Crime Workers, Compensation, Umbrella, or Commercial Package
- Familiar with Guidewire Data Hub and Info Center or has extensive experience with ETL and data mapping from Guidewire, PC, BC, or Claims Center
- ETL , data mapping, Guidewire Data Hub and info Center
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experiences in IT or insurance. Equivalent IT experience includes a minimum of 5 years in software development, quality assurance or IT project management. Equivalent insurance experience includes a minimum of 5 years’ experience working in an underwriting, financial reporting/accounting, or claims department.
- Four to six years of work related experience as an IT business analyst on two large (minimum 10,000 hours) software development projects
- Two to Three years minimum experience in the Property and Casualty insurance industry
- Strong knowledge of software development methodologies, processes and project governance
- Experience with user interface design and user interface usability testing in web browser and Windows environments
- Ability to take direction in a matrix-managed environment while balancing multiple tasks and projects
- Ability to identify data requirements and data relationships within and among business processes.
- Working knowledge of data mining and familiarity with Structured Query Language (SQL) and business intelligence tools (e.g., MicroStrategy, SSAS, Cognos, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to use the full functions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with standard technical terms and the ability to discuss standard technologies at a high level (e.g., mainframe, client-server, network, database, etc.)
Preferred Experience and Skills
- Property & Casualty, IT Business Analysis, and Project Management certification(s) are encouraged and preferred.