The primary role of the VDC coordinator is to facilitate the successful implementation of BIM (Building Information Modeling) technology and the related processes, and to serve as a resource for business acquisition, project teams during proposals, preconstruction, and operations phases of the project. The VDC coordinator is an entry-level position in the Technology Process Development (TPD) group, focused on producing models and providing technology-related services and knowledge. This role ensures project success by using technology to execute processes for or with clients, designers (architectural and engineering firms) and subcontractors.
Business Development / Acquisition
- Understand project requirements and pursuit needs.
- Create and develop models to generate images, videos and other BIM content for use in proposals and presentations.
- Assists in the development of the BIM Execution plan for new projects.
- Supports the execution of preconstruction workflows.
- Assist the integrated projects & preconstruction teams in using BIM tools for analyzing and using.
- BIM models during design review in preconstruction.
- Assist the project team to execute the BIM Execution Plan.
- Assists the project team in setting up a new project models for coordination and clash detection. Participates in Clash Detection sessions and BIM related meetings as necessary until the project team and project BIM integrator is self-sufficient.
- Trains and assists the project-based BIM integrator on the use of BIM applications.
- Assists in other technology needs on projects by developing 3D virtual mockups, virtual reality sessions as needed.
- Assists project teams with creating and maintaining digital documents.
- Supports project teams with implementing all new technology.
- Builds models or further develops existing models to be used for specific BIM processes at all project phases.
- Assists in laser scanning, processing and analyzing of scan data and photogrammetry imaging.
Innovation and technology support
- Proactively pursues personal development to remain proficient in latest BIM technologies and programs.
- Develops processes and SOPs for implementation of new technology.
- Assist in developing training material and training other employees on technology related process Maintains the BIM knowledge database, lessons learned, techniques and distribute knowledge Observes the BIM process on current projects to capture new/better means and methods Maintains and expands BIM content and digital libraries.
- Builds effective relationships with customers, design team, subcontractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and support company core values and meets or exceeds the customer’s expectations. Actively participates in industry, client, and community relations to enhance company image.
- The technology specialist working in Technology & Process Development will be in the Fairfax office in Virginia.
- Performance of this job may require periodic meetings at off-site locations and jobsites.
- B.S. in Construction Management, Construction Engineering, Architectural Engineering or related field.
- 3-5 years of experience as a project engineer, estimator, VDC coordinator or experience with BIM/technology programs from a project, school, or industry is required.
- Concrete detailing experience is a must.
- Requires well-rounded basic knowledge of operations and business acquisition.
- Demonstrates proficiency using the basic functions of a personal computer (email, internet, Word, Excel, Office, Outlook, etc.). Is experienced, knowledgeable or capable of learning the following tools: Navisworks, Revit, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, 3Ds Max, QTO, Sketch Up, Bluebeam, and Primavera P6.