Help upgrade an thriving business! Fortune 500 pet food supplier needs a Controls Leader will provide key leadership with regard to power and control systems, equipment specification and maintenance, proper operation, technician development, troubleshooting and repair to achieve or exceed reliability targets the plant. This role has responsibility for systems optimization, compliance, personnel safety and technician skill development relative to plant electrical power and process control systems.
Why work here
- Fortune 500 food manufacturer with a booming business
- Excellent compensation plus 7.5% annual bonus and 2% Christmas bonus
- 401k with 7% company match on employees’ 6% contribution
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance coverage on the first day of employment
- Life insurance, tuition assistance options available
- Relocation assistance provided
- Less than 5% travel!
- Assists primary administrator and troubleshooter for plant power and control systems and is a key member of plant technical leadership.
- Provides input to the Engineering Projects Manager to develop and manage power and control standards and ensure application of the standards on all projects and upgrades.
- Leads the execution of the site masterplan for power and controls systems to include understanding of the installed base, and replacement plan for obsolete equipment/technologies.
- Builds and maintains a sustainable system for plant Electrical & Instrumentation (E&I) technicians skill development. Coaches technicians on skill assessment and development of operating within the department.
- Manages Electrical & Instrumentation (E&I) technicians and daily direction setting.
- Knows, communicates, and ensures technician compliance to local and national regulator codes (NFPA 70, NFPA 70e, NFPA 79 and OSHA 1910). Is also responsible for ensuring equipment and safe practice compliance in their area of responsibility.
- Responsible for validation of the MES data from PLCs. Support plant Process Engineers in conditioning PLC data to accommodate effective data analysis including application development.
- Provides support in the design and implementation of machine control and process automation applications, such as: control strategies, HMI design, MES applications and KPI development.
- Works with engineering and operations to identify losses, and develop plans and strategies to eliminate them, in the areas of safety, quality, reliability and cost.
- Owns parts or whole Key Elements for systems related to power and control system such as electrical safety (LOTO, Electrical PPE, Energized work permits, low voltage qualification, etc.) and Quality/CCP compliance (checkweighers, metal detectors, vision systems, ingredient flows, temperatures, etc.).
- Works closely with engineering and operations leaders on selection and installation/start-up of new equipment. Becomes the technical expert on new equipment and ensures the training of others regarding control systems.
- Provides power and controls engineering support on capital initiatives.
- Provides support throughout other parts of the plant as needed on a daily basis.
- Learns and applies control, simulation and process modeling technologies to analyze and improve overall process and packaging operations
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering is required; Electrical engineering degree is preferred
- 2 years of relevant controls experience is required
- Manufacturing experience is preferred
- Mechanical and electrical experience in food manufacturing is preferred
- Ability to work and manage within a team environment
- Strong knowledge of machine and/or process control hardware, instrumentation and software including Allen Bradley PLC and Rockwell FactoryTalk platforms
- Working knowledge of NFPA and OSHA guidelines related to electrical equipment and practices
- Proficiency in plant historian
- Understanding of technical systems and terminology
- Experience learning and integrating new technologies
- Experience leading the installation of equipment in food manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated results in manufacturing maintenance utilizing maintenance systems
- Experience with plant systems software
- Self-motivated and able to motivate others
- Strong organizational, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Effective presentation, verbal, and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite applications
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Willingness to work off-shifts or weekends as needed, as well as to take off-shift support calls as needed
- Experience leading, teaching or managing others effectively
- Some travel required
- Able to perform moderate activity including but not limited to, significant time spent on manufacturing floor and some physical work on equipment